Friday, June 22, 2012

Sweet Frames and Solid Rocks

I was searching my memory archives for a verse or phrase of song to sing and meditate on as I went through this trying week at work. From my "summer church services at Green Tree" file somewhere in the depths of my brain came the happy memory of watching and listening to the pastors sing with gusto into giant microphones with brightly colored tops, "The Solid Rock", a favorite hymn of mine. I began to sing the only verse I recalled with the chorus:
 
 "My hope is build on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness
      I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus' name
      On Christ the Solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand
      All other ground is sinking sand"

I started to question myself...was "sweetest frame"right? Was is "strongest frame"? "Biggest frame"? I couldn't get my mind around "sweetest"...so of course I did some investigating...

In a commentary on the song Solid Rock I found this:

 To trust in “The sweetest frame” refers to trusting in something that appears strong or secure. To trust in the sweetest frame for us could be to trust in our works, our status,our feelings, political party, or our relationships for security. But in comparison to the security that is found in the framework of Christ, all of these things are insufficient. Christ alone is the strong and sure structure that our hearts and minds can lean on for security. He is enough. Through Him we have a strong foundation to build upon, and we can remain steadfast during the storms and ever changing conditions around us. In Him we also have a reliable and trustworthy framework upon we can lean on entirely.


Of course! If I'd had to guess at what "sweetest frame" meant I would have concluded that. It got me thinking though...what are my "sweetest frames" that I tend to lean on, especially when it comes to the looming question, "What will become of me 4 months from now job-wise?" My 14+ years within the agency? My consistent reputation and integrity? The great relationships I have with senior staff? The legacy of programs, processes, language, culture, and changed lives I've managed to build? 


1 Corinthians 3:9-14 talks about building on a solid foundation, which is Christ, and that Christians needs to be careful how/what we build...I may think all I've done is equal to gold, silver, etc. but in that day, it may turn out to be hay, wood, or straw...And why on earth should I trust in that? 
Psalm 62:5-6 says, "Yes, my soul, find rest in God; 
                                                                  my hope comes from him.6 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;    
                                 he is my fortress, I will not be shaken". (not sure how that random number "6" got stuck floating over the "I")

So, just like the comforting hymn assures, I dare not trust in my sweetest of frames to get me through the next 4 months, 4 weeks, 4 days or 4 hours...but I will wholly lean on Jesus' name...and continue to build my hope higher and higher on the foundation I knowthatIknowthatIknow NEVER fails.
"On Christ the SOLID ROCK I stand! All other ground is sinking sand...all other ground is sinking sand!"

No comments:

Post a Comment