Friday, June 15, 2012

Power of the Cross at Shoprite

A few weeks ago I was cleaning out a neglected drawer and I found a wooden cross necklace I'd forgotten I had. It was a big one (like the picture above) that I had bought years ago when Mom and I attended a Creation festival. I wear a cross every day--it means something to me. MANY years ago when I was getting ready to go out on a date my Mom remarked to me, "See that cross? Remember Whose you are!" lest I do something sinful! But that challenge has stuck with me over the years and I choose to wear various crosses each day--a gold one given to me as a college graduation gift, one made of clay that Mom gave me for Christmas one year, one with nails that pop gave me at some point, even one made of yarn that a kid sent to me from prison (don't ask me where he found blue and white yarn in prison! It's "the thought that counts!") It IS a reminder of Whose I am and, sometimes, it provides an avenue with which to share my faith.

I came out of Shoprite this morning and headed to my car. I was wearing the big wooden cross (first time in YEARS!) and I noticed a kid leaning on the hood of his car right next to mine. As I started packing my bags into my truck he said to me, "Pray for me today". I am assuming he saw the gigantic cross around my neck and made some kind of conclusion. I looked at him and said, "Ok...what do you need prayer for?" He said it was the last day of high school and that he felt God had been trying to show him the Truth but that he was caught up in the emotions of graduating and that he was sensitive to other people's feelings...? We kept chatting as I filled my trunk...I asked him, "What do you need from God today?" and he replied, "Peace". I smiled..."He can give that to you...Do you want me to pray with you right now?" and this kid said yes and held out both hands (WHAT!?) So I went over to him, grabbed his two hands with one of mine (and kept the other on my purse) and prayed out loud for him (his name was Elon). I prayed for peace, I prayed that he would see the truth of a relationship with the Lord, that he would find direction for his life, etc. Oddly, I didn't once think about how this might look, me standing with some kid in the parking lot of Shoprite, holding hands and praying.

When we were done I returned my cart and told him he'd have a good day. Then got in my car and asked God, "WHAT WAS THAT!?" and a few things jumped out: The cross speaks volumes...it can be a comfort, an itch, a solace, or a catalyst for evil for some. To this kid, it spoke something to him...That perhaps I was a believer and could bring him some comfort. I thought to myself how bold he was to even make that assumption and to ask a complete stranger to pray for him...but, there must have been some kind of "nudge" that indicated to him that it would be ok to ask...me...some random lady in the parking lot.

If you read my post from earlier this morning, you know that yesterday wasn't an easy day...but I clung to that big wooden cross today and as I met with 4/6 f my staff members about what we learned yesterday, I tugged on that cross and challenged them about their faith (which, thankfully, they all expressed they had), and told them that this cross means I have a firm foundation from which I cannot fall and I hoped they could experience that same comfort.

I marvelled all day at God's orchestration for me to meet "Elon" in the parking lot at 7:20m at Shoprite and to have him ask me for prayer. It could have been so easy to just say,"Yes! I'll pray for you!" and keep it moving...but I kept feeling that "nudge" by the Holy Spirit to talk, to ask, to do more. Did I feel awkward staring w/ some teenager, holding hands and praying in the middle of the Shoprite parking lot? Honestly,. not at all. Because, in my opinion, when the Holy Spirit nudges, you respond. And that's what Christians are supposed to do--reach out to others, share their faith, take risks (although I felt some type of way that I kept my hand on my purse! I didn't want to be foolish but geez!) Another staff member remarked today that I was wearing "the big cross"and I was able to share the story of what happened at Shoprite...and she was blessed as well...But isn't that how it goes? God gives you opportunities to serve Him, you tell others, they get inspired to do the same...Why not wear your own "big cross"and see what happens? I plan on wearing mine more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment