Remember this kid from a few blogs back? A neat thing happened today...
One of our teachers came to me at one point in the day and, with a smile, stated that our students would never pass the science section of the GED because they believed that aliens came and come to earth to give knowledge to man about how to do things (gotta love "kids"!) Apparently this was catalyzed by a "How did we get here?" discussion...so I took the opportunity to turn it into a "Do you believe in God?" discussion and if so, how does God fit in with your current beliefs about aliens...This led to talk about angels, the Afterlife, Creationism vs Darwinism, Big Foot, and the Abominibal Snowmonster. Needless to say, it was humorous but it must have gotten the kids thinking...
Later on, a few of the kids and the one pictured above and I were discussing life in general...We got onto the topic about "walking in the hood". I proclaimed (with no wavering) that I'm not afraid to walk in the hood. "What's the worst thing that could happen? I get shot and killed? I win either way. I know where I'm going and I'd love to see Jesus, my dad, and my grandparents. If I get injured, then I'd get worker's comp and sit around watching dumb TV". This gained me a few cred points with the kids "Yo! Ms. Jen ain't afraid of the hood!") but for the kid above it ran a bit deeper.
When a few of the other students left, he said to me that he was afraid of dying and going to hell. I didn't hesitate. "You can fix that, you know, "said I. "How?"he asked. So I sat by him and carefully talked about salvation, the cross, Jesus paying the penalty for our sins, my personal faith and salvation experience...and he just listened...I asked him questions, I tried to show him how he was in his own way in a few areas of life...and darn it if my phone didn't keep ringing!? At one point I said, "That's Satan not wanting me to talk to you about all this!" and he laughed. Eventually, he had to go back to class...so I told his case manager (who is also a believer) about the conversation and told him to feel free to try and continue the conversation. "That's great timing, "he said, "because I'm supposed to have lunch with him tomorrow". How Providential...
I tried to remember me at "18", where my faith was, how close I was or wasn't to Jesus...but even then I knewthatIknewthatIknew...This kid is 18, bursting with hormones, divided between doing the right thing and hanging with friends who don't, weighing sleeping in each morning with getting up and walking almost a mile to school...and today he was concerned about his soul, with "The Afterlife" as he called it. And what a privilege it was for me to be able to freely talk with him about such things...and to encourage my staff to do the same.I don't know how far this will go...but I do know that at least a seed was planted...
Last week I was talking to a kid who whose family was about to be evicted in 2 hours. He was at a loss about what to do and close to panic. I said to him, "Do you believe in God?" and he said yes. I asked, "Do you want to pray about it right now?" and he said yes...So I grabbed his hand and prayed for him and his family...this kid who rarely comes to school, who lies all the time, and admitted that he's been hustling drugs to help come up with the back rent due that day. And in that moment I prayed for God's will to be done, for peace for him and his family, for him to be able to relax and not stress and to accept whatever the outcome but that God would also show mercy and allow his family not to be displaced. He returned a few hours later and declared with amazement that the landlord agreed to let them stay and "It was because we prayed". Perhaps...I'd like to think so. But again, at least another seed was planted.
Knowing that this program will come to an end in a little less than 4 months has been challenging...and knowing that I may not ever cross paths with these kids again has been really tough to digest. Usually, I know I have time to plant and cultivate the seeds I plant...But I find myself now scattering handfuls with a bit of desperation...yet still praying and hoping that there will come those after me who can fertilize, water, prune, and sow...Trusting God with that right now...the Master Gardner.

No comments:
Post a Comment