Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Father's Legacy

(I know I've used this photo before but it remains one of my favorite so here it is again!)  A tribute to my "Pop" on this Father's Day...a spattering of great memories that his daughter still holds dear...Pop, you were a wonderful, remarkable father and I treasure so much of what you shared with me and our family. Happy Father's Day to you, as you continue to celebrate our Father in heaven. I miss you!
  • Indina Princesses on Friday nights
  • Being called "Daw daw" or "Baby Girl"
  • People watching on the boardwalk
  • Fun shaped pancakes on Saturday mornings
  • Teaching me to drive
  • The partial celebrity status of being "Mr. Kelly's daughter" (which was a great thing!)
  • Teaching me to read
  • Doing embarrassing things in public to make me laugh
  • Annual outings to find the perfect Christmas tree
  • Sending me fun postcards and pictures in college
  • Working at Summer Life together for 2 summers
  • Going to the pool after summer school
  • Making pasta and garlic bread for dinner on Mondays and Wednesdays before you went to play basketball
  • Watching you listen to music in giant headphones, read a magazine or grade papers at the same time
  • Dancing to "Love Shack" at various weddings
  • The look on your face when you saw me in my wedding dress before walking me to the altar
  • When you would tell me, "I love you because you are my daughter, but I also like you as a person".
  • Letting me use your car to go driving
  • Teaching me that duct tape can fix almost anything
  • Smelling your mystery concoctions for breakfast or lunch
  • The care and consistency with which you tended the backyard birds
  • Teaching me frugality
  • Singing together at MPC
  • Letting me off the hook for giving up lacrosse
  • Listening to my problems and giving advice, even after I moved out of the house
  • Leaving notes for me just because
  • Being an example of a believer, a pray-er, a good steward, a compassionate friend, a loving husband, a faithful father
  • Introducing me to a wide variety of music over the years
  • Always taking us to Dairy Queen after dinner out
  • Finding deals (often at Deals in Media)
  • Driving all the way down to Virginia with Mom at a few hours notice to watch me perform at NATS
  • Finding great "greasy spoon" or "folks" places to eat breakfast
  • Coming to my shows
  • Not giving me grief about the results of my own dumb choices
  • Lunch out on Fridays when I had to attend summer school and you were teaching
  • Always taking care of and being concerned about my car
  • Knowing that you made tapes of songs for other people, often for encouragement
  • Playing "hot or cold" with Mark and I when you would hide candy
  • Playing "Applesauce" "Kissing Kitty" or "Jah"
  • Your love of Psalm 23 and John 14

No comments:

Post a Comment