We don't have "favorite kids" at Covenant House (but if we did, this kid would be one of my favorite!) The Justice System recently offerred him an 8 year time share within the Department of Corrections (site to be determined) which he reluctantly accepted. This for a stupid--well, VERY stupid--mistake made several months ago. My heart hurts for him...
I visited with him today at our local "vacation destination processing center" (aka, Atlantic County Jail). Recently, he decided to leave his church upbrining behind and "switch teams" to become Muslim. I asked about this on our visit today and he said he didn't understand about how Jesus/God/Holy Spirit could be all one entity (MY word, not his) and,"If Jesus was God then how could God kill Himself on the cross?" "That's why you switched teams???" I said. He didn't understand the whole "trinity" concept. So I did the "egg" illustration, then water...then I got a little staticy and wasn't sure what to say. He then responded by saying,"Maybe you could write it down later and send it to me".
Thank God for Google! I got back to the office and Googled "How Could God Kill Himself if He Were Jesus" (or something like that!) and got a great answer that I think this kid could swallow. I sent a Hallmark card w/ the print out of the Google blurb and some cheery sentiments and prayed that God would "nudge" something in his soul.
My passion in supporting this young person is in full force. I was talking w/ our lawyer at CH later on today about my visit with this kid and I remarked about how I did not have any kids and he interrupted me--"Really!? I just assumed YOU had children!" and I gave him a brief rundown of the last 14 years...and how every maternal instinct I have goes to trying to serve, save, and protect "these kids"...I don't know what the next 8+ years behind the wall will hold for this "favorite" (shhh!) of mine...but as long as I am able I will be there every step of the way...and praying that whatever seeds I try to plant will fall on some patch of good soil, and germinate, and be watered by someone else after me...
No comments:
Post a Comment