Sunday, September 18, 2011

Peaces

One of my devotions this morning focused on John 14 where Jesus tells the disciples, "Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you...Let not your heart be troubled and neither be afraid". The accompanying blurb talked about peace in the midst of crisis.

I've spoken of this before but I don't tend to be a "falling to pieces" kind of person when tragedy strikes (although tell me we're having overnight guests in 24 hours or I won't have time to run in the morning and I unravel!)
The translation of "peace" here in the Greek means "to set at one again"...The image I have is similar to the picture I posted...someone going to pieces about whatever but Jesus has stated that His peace, left for us, will "set us at one" again (or, in my mind, all pieces returning to their proper place). I also like the directive He gives="LET NOT your heart be troubled" (meaning WE control this!) and NEITHER be afraid". What's the worst thing that can happen if sudden guests come? I miss a few spots of soap scum on the guest tub? They want bagels for breakfast but I only have toast? It's mid-week and I haven't cleaned yet and there are some fur clumps scurrying around my hardwood floors? No need to fall to pieces...

I've called on Jesus for this very peace often...and as long as I am actively NOT allowing myself to be "troubled", I do feel "set at one". I also look at the work I do as helping to gather up the pieces of others who are troubled and afraid ("I just got kicked out of my house!" "My mom is dying of cancer!" "I'm pregnant!" "My dad just got locked up!" "I'm facing 6+ years in prison!") and helping, with the love and peace that only Christ can give, to set them at one again...

No comments:

Post a Comment