
Over the last 14+ years, there have only been 2 things (to my knowledge!) that I recall saying, "Absolutely not!" to= a bulldog puppy and a motorcycle.
A few days ago, Mark texted me about a hog for sale (via one of our friends) and said he wanted to get it. I gave 9 thousand reasons why it would not be a wise purchase...but in the end, gave my, "Fine!" Could we afford it?=Yes...Do we NEED it=NO but how many things do we buy that we don't need?
This got me thinking about the priority of covenants (and needing to get this decision "ok" in my mind!) Mark and I are complete opposites when it comes to "stuff". I was content to live on our 14th street 2 bedroom rental until the end of time but "Hey! Here's a house!"=we move...I was fine living a consistent, unexciting life and here comes,"Hey! What if we jumped out of an airplane!?" (see the picture of complete joy at the bottom of the blog page!)
I was raised to be "mindful" of spending. My parents provided wonderfully for my brother and I yet we were also mindful that they were faithful to tithing and to giving to others as needed.
When Mark and I got married, I was more of the "What if" meiser and he was the "We have it--let's enjoy it!' type. I have learned that neither one is right--there are benefits to both. For example, if I weren't such a "saver" we wouldn't have been able to live in the house where we are...and if Mark weren't such a "We have it--let's enjoy!" type I would have missed out on MANY trips, cruises, and one-in-a-lifetime experiences. Things I don't regret at all but couldn't stomache at the time!
Do we NEED a motorcycle? Uh...no! But my reluctant consent, I pray, produces a few things: accountablility to responsible driving, joy to my husband whom I LOVE, to experience and enjoy something he has wanted for years, and an understanding that, in the priority of covenants, you aim to consider the response of your spouse to a decision (before you conclude that YOU are right!)
No comments:
Post a Comment