
Over my 14+ years at Covenant House, I have often found myself astonished, amused, and downright dumbfounded at some of the conversations I've had with young people. Call it what you will--cultural differences, age differences, lack of education, etc.--but I have often repeated some of my favorite "stories" to family, friends, and co-workers just to share the environment in which I work...Here are a choice few to enjoy. Some are funny, others are quite sad, humbling, and thought-provoking. I have chosen to write them in their "original language"...
Kid is looking at a family photo I have posted on my desk.
Kid to me: "Ms. Jen, why all those people in your bedroom?"
Me to kid: "That's not my bedroom, it's my livingroom".
Kid to me: "Ain't that a chest of drawers?"
Me to kid: "Yes, I have a dresser in my livingroom".
Kid to me: (incredulous and after a few moments of pause) "What do you keep in there?"
Me to kid: "Tablecloths, cloth napkins, and place mats".
Kid to me: "You need a whole dresser just for tablecloths!?"
_________________________________________________
Me answering phone: "Good afternoon, Covenant House?"
Kid on the phone: "Ay, yo, who dis?"
Me: "Who dis? Who DIS!?"
Kid: "Oh, this J----...Who dis, Ms. Jen?"
Me: "Yes! J---, why don't you call back and ask who it is the right way?"
A minute passes...
Me answering phone: "Good afternoon, Covenant House?"
Kid on the phone: "Hello, Ms. Jen, can I please speak w/ Mr. ___?"
____________________________________________________
Young lady to me: "Ms. Jen, I need a pregnancy test".
Me to young lady: "You think you're pregnant?"
Young lady to me: "Yeah, I'm a few weeks late".
Me to young lady: "Who's the father?"
Young lady to me: "The guy in the arcade".
Me to young lady: "What's his name?"
Young lady to me: "I don't know...I just know he works there".
________________________________________________
Kid in jail to me: "Ms. Jen, can you call my fiance?"
Me to kid: "Sure, what's her name?"
Kid to me: "Sherita."
Me to kid: "What's her last name?"
Kid to me: "I don't know".
Me to kid: "You have a fiance and you don't know her last name???"
___________________________________________________
Driving down the road w/ a kid, Golden Arches are seen in the distance.
Kid to me: "If I was rich, I'd eat at McDonald's every day".
___________________________________________________
Kid to me: "So-n-so goes with my aunt".
Me to kid: "Really? So-n-so goes with your aunt?"
Kid to me: "No, my AHHHunt...an ant is a bug that crawls around."
Me to kid: "You say ahunt, I say ant."
Kid to me: "Yeah! Cuz you COUNTRY!"
____________________________________________________
Me to a young lady: "You are so fragile."
Young lady: "What that means?"
Me to young lady: "Fragile...like china".
Young lady to me: "Who's that?"
Me to young lady: "No, CHINA, like, plates".
Young lady to me: "I don't know what that is".
_____________________________________________________
Overheard in the visitor's area while waiting for a visit from a kid in prison...woman talking to another woman across from me.
"My second baby's father's first baby's mother is here seeing her other baby's father".
_____________________________________________________
Me to a young lady: "I won't be here next week. I'm going to Guatemala".
Young lady to me: "What's that, Fat Camp?"
Me to young lady: "NO! It's a country!"
Young lady: "I've never heard of it. Where is it?"
Me to young lady: "It's in Central America?"
Young lady to me: "Where is that?"
____________________________________________________
Kid to me: "Ms. Jen, what's the address to Yardville?"
Me to kid: "Where in Yardville?"
Kid to me: "No, the prison, Yardville."
Me to kid: "There is no prison named Yardville. it's the Garden State Youth Correctional Facility and it's IN the city of Yardville".
Kid to me: "So what's the address of Leesburg?"
Me to kid: "Leesburg is also a city, the prion is Bayside."
Kid to me: "But what about Bordentown or Anandale? THOSE are prisons!"
Me to kid: "No...they are the towns where the prisons Mountainview and Wagner are".
Kid to me after some thought: "So what's the address of the towns?"
_________________________________________________________
Letter from a kid to me, pre-release from prison:
"Ms. Jen when I got locked up we had beepers. Now everyone has these phones that don't even have buttons on them! Just a screen! And you can get music and TV and even movies on them!"
___________________________________________________________
And my all time favorite...
Kid to me, referring to the obituary section: "Ms. Jen, where Elsewhere at?"
Me to kid: "Huh?"
Kid to me: "I see Atlantic County, Cape May County, and Cumberland County, and I know where those at. But then it says Elsewhere and I ain't never heard of no Elsewhere. Where that at?"
Me to kid: "Elsewhere just means somewhere else."
Kid to me: "But where is it? Can I go there?"
_________________________________________________________
I love this post, can't believe these are true!
ReplyDelete