
On my recent pay stub, it said I had 1,130 hours of sick time. Unless my math is off (which it certainly might be!) I have about 8+ months worth of sick time accrued ( I believe--I tried to sit and do this w/ a calculator and came up w/ weird amounts!=8 months is safe to assume!)
I had always thought I'd use it for maternity leave (yeah=THAT'S not happening!) or another prolonged illness (thank GOD I've never had more than a head cold in the last few years).
If I'm feeling "under the weather" I still go to work...If I'm feeling really "off", I'll go and leave early. Maybe I'm blessed w/ good health, maybe my work ethic tells me I "must be at work no matter what"...even the few times I've called out "sick" over the last 14 years, I've joyed at a temperature that reads above 98.6="I'm really sick!" I've dealt w/ employees over the years who call out for the sniffles or even text me that "I'm not feeling well=won't be in today" which, in the age of HIPPA, leaves me wondering...
A few months go someone told me that since I won't be able to take all my sick time with me when/if I ever leave CH that I should take a "sick day" every few weeks...I earned it, I should take it.
The odd thing (or maybe not???) is that to take a sick day when I'm not really "sick"=lying to me...and, being a Christian and having a strong moral basis (or at least I like to think so) keeps me from calling out "sick" when I'm not running a fever or bowing to the porcelain god.
This, to me, is being "faithful in the little things"...Sometimes I wonder if I could muster the courage to call in "sick" because I feel off emotionally or because, perhaps, my marriage needs a re-boot...but is that "sick"? Is that what the time was really meant for?
Who's to know? What I DO KNOW, especially with this impending year of uncertainty with my job status, is that I cannot compromise my standards...and to call out "sick" just to spend a lazy day at home is NOT being honest. In the priority of covenants, I feel God does look on our "justifications" and evaluates whether or not we are being true to others...So if I keep accumulating sick time? Fine...God knows there may be a real reason someday within my employment to need it...and if not, then at least I honored HIM and my agency by not abusing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment