Sunday, July 17, 2011

Weaving



Every few years, as I try to "shake up" my quiet time routine in the morning, I re-read devotional books I've collected. "Be Still and Know" is a favorite, "His Imprint, My Expression" is another. But perhaps my absolute favorite is "How Great Thou Art" which devotes each month to a study of an attribute of God. I've probably read October 10xs (study of God's Providence).

In the study on "God's Faithfulness", it states this chewy nugget:

"To have faith in Jesus does not mean we try to pretend that bad things are really good. Rather we know that God will take our difficulties and weave them into purposes we cannot see as yet. And when He is done, the day will be more glorious for us having gone through the difficulties".

That may seem simple but I've learned to cling to this over the years. I first read that passage in December of 2006. Pop had recently gone to glory, I was contemplating a major position change at work, a sudden departure of a co-worker left me in charge of Chirstmas at Covenant House, I backed my car into a Mercedes and had to pay dearly, etc. And when I read this passage, it wasn't a new concept. It even states "We know..." And I did know and do know...But at the time, on that particular day in December when I read that, it was the reminder I needed. I wrote in my quiet time journal after I copied the passage,"YAY!"

I love how God gives us "reminders" at just the right time. Someone who loves me sent me a card with this poem when I was in college, also as a reminder of God's purposes in continuing His "good work" in me while I was going through some difficulties:



My Life is but a weavingbetween my Lord and me;
I cannot choose the colors, He worketh steadily.
Oft times He weaveth sorrow And I, in foolish pride,
Forget He sees the upper,And I the under side.



Not til the loom is silent And the shuttles cease to fly,
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why.



The dark threads are as needful
In the Weaver's skillful hand,
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned.



He knows, He loves, He cares,
Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives His very best
to those Who leave the choice with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment