Friday, July 29, 2011

Portion Control



If I'm going out to eat, I like a full plate. Yes, those fancy places that serve up a little medallion or two of meat w/ 2 spears of asparagus, a dollop of potato, a splash of sauce, and some fancy stick looking things artfully placed are ok once in a blue, but I like looking at a steaming plate of deliciousness, with anything melted, fried, sauced, or on my usual "DO NOT EAT!" list that challenges me to finish (and 9/10 times I do!)and think,"YES! That's ALL for ME!" Anyone who knows me and knows my history with food and the like will understand that when I'm right in my mind about eating a plate of food, I want a big portion.

So when my devotional this morning took me to Lamentations I thought, "Yeah, yeah...probably the 'mercies are new every morning' verse" but then my eye spotted Lamentations 3:24="I say to myself,'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him'". I looked up the Hebrew of "portion" used in the verse="smoothness of the tongue, also an allotment". It made me stop and think...I am a Christian, therefore, the Lord IS my portion...and He's not a tiny plate--He's overflowing with goodness, "taste and see that the Lord is good", etc. He beckons indulgence in HIM! You can gorge yourself on GOD and it's ok! And the best part??? He satisfies!?

I bet some people, even believers, prefer a small plate of God, just enough to sample a bit here and there, a taste of blessings, a dollop of prayer, maybe some sauce of protection drizzled over the whole lot for peace of mind. But I bet it also leaves them wanting more, starving a bit, if you will. Me? I'm gonna go for the big plate. God IS my portion--I want to look at Him and say,"YES! That's ALL for ME!"

No comments:

Post a Comment