I always enjoyed answering and creating things in the "Notes" section of Facebook...I did the "25 Things" MANY times, "40 Secrests", and all the rest. A few weeks ago I started doing my Top 10 of "Keeping Covenants" and I figure that sharing them here would be a good way to start this blog journey...Enjoy!
Keeping covenants--10 things about my faith
by Jennifer Kelly Williams on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 5:16am
1. I do believe that Jesus is the ONLY way to heaven...
2. I have learned not to question God with "why" when stuff happens...I ask "What am I supposed to learn from this"
3. I wear a cross as a reminder of "whose I am"--not just for decoration...and I AM humbled (and often convicted) when I am acting in an "un-Christian-like" manner and someone points out the cross I'm wearing.
4. I have tried (and am still trying) to move away from the more legalistic tendencies I learned through family and by attending Liberty Univ. And since I like "rules", this is tough.
5. Regarding the above, I have admiration for persons of other faiths who are considered "devout" and keep to traditions and rules (Hasidic Jews, monks, old school nuns,etc.) Even though I do not share their beliefs, I admire their dedication and it convicts me that I am not that way.
6. I am thankful that God has placed other believers in my life to support, coach, and challenge me in my faith when needed. I only pray I can replicate this (and perhaps have already) for someone else.
7. I believe 100% that God can change any person and any situation. NOTHING is too big for Him.
8. I believe that EVERYTHING that comes into and out of my life is ordered, orchestrated, and filtered by God for the purpose of my good and my growth, whether it's considered by others tragic or unfair or a blessing (see #2)
9. In vain, I still sometimes think I can figure out what God is doing in a particular situation, especially when it seems all the "ducks are lining up"...only to find out that, NO--His ways are higher than mine...
10. I have read the entire Biible, some books countless times...yet most mornings when I'm reading I'll discover something I never read before or a particular phrase I've read a hundred times will take on a whole new meaning. I am SO thankful for this Book--how do you know how to live unless you read the directions God left for us?
Keeping covenants--10 things about my marriage
by Jennifer Kelly Williams on Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 5:22am
1. I love when Mark remembers the most random things that I've told him over the years--parts of family stories, an old boyfriends name, a favorite something of mine...warms me to know he was (and is) paying attention
2. Companionable silence=riding in the car and not having to talk or think it's weird that we're not talking. My Mom introduced me to the term years ago, I'm proud that Mark and I have achieved this.
3. When I look at him, he's still 23 to me...
4. I have learned to accept that things that MAY not change and to joy when things do. As we both continue to grow in this relationship and as individuals, things do change, improve, reach a new level. It's awesome to discover this over and over...
5. When Mark says,"I'm making one of your favorate things" for dinner, even though it will be one of about 6-7 meals, I always know it will be good. I do not feel "less" that this wife is NOT the cook of the family.
6. We are mutually content with our family being us, the dog, and the cats, not questioning or investigating why that is through needless procedures or trying to change it. And the fact that it is mutual is so freeing.
7. We have our own language, exclusive to us. Words, phrases, tones, songs...anyone listening in might think we're nuts but it's OURS and I love it.
8. I can't recall our last fight or arguement...and that's because we talk. We established this when we were dating, not to say we have NEVER fought but it's so rare and I love that, sitting here, I can't even think of the last time things were heated.
9. We do not celebrate Valentines Day. EVERY day is a celebration of love.
10. We are not perfect (because we are 2 imperfect people) but I think we're pretty darn close :)
Keeping Covenants--10 things about my work
by Jennifer Kelly Williams on Friday, May 27, 2011 at 5:29am
1. I consider what I do service, not a "job" or "career".
2. I do not mind the smell of Atlantic County jail--it keeps me humble.
3. I am amazed at how quickly young people come up with new slang...and I pretend not to know what the meaning of the word or phrase is just so they can educate me
4. Before coming to CH, I'd never met anyone homeless, heroin addicted, tranny, repeat felon, 17 with 3 kids,etc. Hard to realize there are hurting people all around but they need love too.
5. I have come to believe that even the worst, messed up, person is capable of change.
6. The group of kids I'm with now have no idea what nursery rhymes are...I tested this out and they'd never heard of "Jack and Jill", "Hey, Diddle Diddle", or "Little Jack Horner"...
7. Because of the "unconditional love" part of CH's mission statement, I have a hard time balancing justice, mercy, and grace when it comes to consequences for the kids. I tend to be merciful which isn't always popular among the more "justice-driven" staff.
8. I am now older than some of my kids parents...so when the 19 year old says,"You're like my Mom...my Mom is 36", I can now understand WHY they say that (which wasn't quite true several years ago...)
9. I am continually amazed at cultural differences...from hair to language to food to morals/values, to image...one of my kids recently bought sneakers for $120...I was floored...(Me: "That's half a cable bill, that's groceries for a week, that's 3 water bills..." Kid: "But they look hot!")
10. I love receiving jail mail as much as I enjoy sending it
No comments:
Post a Comment