I used to do the whole "New Years Resolution" thing...I thought it would be cool to go back through old journals and see just what life-changing goals I had for myself starting at age 18...
1992:
1. Get closer to God (daily devotions, prayer, study the Bible)
2. Apply Ephesians 4:29
3. Lose 20 pounds by March 6 and keep it off
4. Be less physical w/ (boyfriend of the moment)
5. Get nothing less than B's at Liberty
6. Stop being jealous of (boyfriend of the moment's) girl "friends"/dwelling on his past relationships
7. Try to keep my thoughts pure
8. Drink more H2O
9. Be vegetarian Spring Semester
10. One sweet, if any, per day
I was in my freshman year at Liberty when I wrote these...As I recall, I did lose the 20 pounds by March 6 but didn't keep it off, got nothing less than B's, and make some progress in my spiritual walk...but that's about it...
1993:
1. Lose my Christmas weight and stay at 1_ _ by the last full week of February
2. Get at least 3.4 GPA for the year
3. Binge less
4. Edify others more
5. Study/apply the Word more
Amazing the flip in priorities from the previous year...sheesh!
1994:
1. Try to get back to daily devotions
2. (need to edit this one-nothing scandalous, just a personal goal for self-control in a particular area)
3. Make Dean's list
4. Get down to 1_ _/1_ _ by summer
5. Binge less
God makes the top of the list again...I can't recall why daily devotions, especially in such a spiritually-saturated Christian college were not the norm for me...
1995:
1. "His spirit fill my hungering soul, His power all my life control; my deepest prayer, my highest goal, that I may be like Jesus" (Chisholm)
2. Dean's list for graduation
3. Get to 1_ _/1_ _ by Spring Break and stay there
4. More consistent exercise
5. Get at least $6,000 in the bank
I'd forgotten that neat verse in #1...I did make the Dean's List for graduation (actually got a 4.0 that semester)...Why I wasn't exercising consistently is beyond me...and I don't think I saved anywhere near $6K but that wasn't a bad goal for a soon-to-be graduate.
1996:
1. After I lose the 15lbs. of Christmas weight, get to 1_ _/1_ _ and stay there
2. Continue to run 5-7xs a week and lift 3-5xs
3. Continue to have daily devotions
4. Tithe every week by check
5. Pray more
6. Go out of my way to meet people (HA!)--the "HA!" was written with the goal
Living at home at the time and working...I can't recall ever writing a check for my tithe at church or even tithing on a regular basis (then!) but at least I was thinking about it.
1997:
1. Pray more
2. (edit--personal goal for self-control)
3. Get between 1_ _/1_ _ by March 31 and stay there
4. Save at least $10,000 by summer
5. (edit--personal goal for self-control)
6. Be consistent in counseling
7. View God as sovereign
8. Learn what it means to love God and experience that
9. Wear my Night in Venice dress before May 31
10. Fit into my GAP jeans by Easter
My engagement year, getting ready to be married in October. I was doing Therapeutic Staff Support work (putting that psych degree to use!), living at home, and seeing Mark most weekends. Interesting how my spiritual growth goals are intermingled w/ the other ones...
1998:
1. Drop 15-20 pounds and keep it off
2. Try to be more social
3. Build up savings to $10,000
4. Try to be more consistent with devotions
5. Try to prioritize better
First New Year as a wife...my marriage must have been perfect then if I didn't find a need to make any resolutions towards that (HA!)
1999:
1. Stay in the 1_ _'s!!!
2. Don't spend money on needless things (flavored coffees, Cool Whip, etc)
3. Build up savings to $10,000
4. Get up to 5 miles again
5. Keep my mouth shut at work
6. Try to be more social
Guess I never built up the savings the year before...and why I wasn't running 5 miles at a time is a mystery to me (5 has always been my minimum run) I recall working with a bunch of busy-bodies and trying not to be drawn into the negative bashing of other co-workers...I never quite achieved the "social" goal, even now...I prefer to curl up in a chair and read versus going out or having a circle of friends...something I choose not to think about too deeply.
That was my last year of recorded resolutions. In January 1 entries that followed, the resounding proclamation was to lose weight, a theme you can see each year (but then again, I think most people have that as a goal so I don't feel odd in that respect). As I was walking the dog yesterday, I started thinking about the new year ahead, what I wanted to see in my life, what goals or dreams I had...and they really aren't anything different from what I pray for every day --to try and put the Lord first in all things, to be a better witness to those around me, to be humble, to trust, to have a deeper faith. Do I want to stay in shape? Sure...but I know that my relationship with the Lord needs to take priority over that...Do I want to save money, have a better marriage, clean my tub more consistently, visit Mom more, keep my office clutter-free, get more involved at church, and watch the entire Soprano series? Sure...but my relationship with the Lord needs to take priority over all that too. And while I was walking, I realized that what I want for myself, in my personal, social, work, and spiritual life as I move forward goes back to the #1 goal from 1995:"His spirit fill my hungering soul, His power all my life control; my deepest prayer, my highest goal, that I may be like Jesus". I know my life may not always reflect this...but as I strive towards this, perhaps the weights that hinder and the sin that so easily entangles will begin to fall away...and the hungering soul within me will be satisfied with Him alone, every area of my life controlled by Him...my deepest prayer, my ONLY goal--that I may be like Jesus...Happy New Year!

No comments:
Post a Comment