Thursday, December 27, 2012

Humbles



Our bookkeeper at Covenant House is a WAY cool older woman who used to be a nun. I have rarely met another human being who is more accommodating, helpful, and high in spirits as "Ms. Diane". Over the years, she has nursed me via her wise words through some tough times, always pointing out God's Providence or reminding me that He is at work in all things. She is also one who I usually tell my mistakes to when it comes to the more administrative side of things: a petty cash till that doesn't add up, a forgotten bill that's under a giant pile on my desk that now has 2 months worth of late charges, or a situation that God worked out one way when I thought it should/would be worked out another. She always responds in kind but with firm words for growth (since she usually has to help me clean up such mistakes!)

When I first got into Development work, I went to a Jewish house of worship to present about Covenant House to a group of folks, all over 60. Pridefully, I'm a great presenter, especially having done this for over a decade. I was telling some of my more horrific stories about finding kids under the boardwalk, girls running from pimps, and a kid being chased by his father with a shovel...The reactions were great: "Oh, my Gawd!" "The poah kid!" "Such a shame!" We were getting ready for our first Night of Broadway Stars event and as part of the presentation in hoping to get some of them to come, I sang snippets of show tunes. I had them eating out of my hand. "Oh Gawd, she's adorable!""Jen-a-fuh, you ah priceless!" They invited me to make their synagogue my chosen house of worship, gave me a fancy pen upon departing, and promised support. 

A few days later, Ms. Diane and I were in the back hall by the mailboxes and I saw that I had a piece of mail from one of the people who had been in the presentation. "Yay!", I said to her, "This should be a nice, fat check. I did a really good job with those folks". I opened the card, read the nice sentiments, and then looked at the check...for $10. I blinked a few more times trying to make another zero (or two) appear but alas--it was $10. I started to grumble..."It's ten bucks..." to which Diane, in her wisdom and gentle reproach offered, "Maybe it's all she had...Maybe it's the widow's mite". Gulp...um, yeah...I felt so ashamed and told her so...She looked at me and smiled: "You've had a 'humble'"...Thenceforth, whenever I got too big for my britches or God gave me a smack down about something I thought I knew better about, Ms. Diane and I would refer to these incidents as "humbles"--God's way of taking me down a few notches, falling behind my pride, and reminding me of some greater truth.

This morning I had an urge to look through my oft neglected prayer book, something I've been keeping for years (I think I mentioned this in a former blog but I couldn't find it), just to see what my last series of requests was.

On June 23, I wrote: "That once the YB grant is over I have a position with Covenant House, based in Atlantic City, at least $__K, and I get to keep my sick time". I had forgotten what I had asked for...and all four specifics had been answered with a "Yes", my recently reduced salary included dollar for dollar in the "at least" part. It was a humble for sure, especially since I had continued to chew on the slightest gristle of resentment still that I hadn't been given more.

As humiliating as "humbles" are, I am thankful for them...and thankful that God allows me to work with people who can point out humbles as lessons intended for my growth and then to share with others, which I plan to do with today's with Ms. Diane. 

1 comment: