So due to the "derecha" on Friday evening/Saturday morning we lost power for at least 3 1/2 days...I'm ok w/ dealing w/ heat and all that...We have gas so we were able to take hot showers, cook on the stove, make "coffee" in the morning, etc. Still, a grand inconvenience=YES!
As I was coming home from work Monday and got closer to my street I started to pray for porch lights=if the porch lights are on=the power is on...=no dice on Monday. I went running around 4am Tuesday=porch lights on part of my route! YES! Maybe power is on it's way! As I got closer to home I kept praying and searching in the pre-dawn hours..."Porch lights...? Porch lights...?" to no avail=another no-blow-dryer-weird-hair-day for Ms Jen!
Tuesday evening, driving home, praying for porch lights...=nada! Came home to the same sweltering-haven't-been-able-to-clean-and-the-house-smells-of-dog-and-there-is-fur-everywhere-and-I-don't-want-to-sleep-on-the-couch-by-the-back-door-again house and perched on the back porch to view Facebook..and what is this? A burst of something? WAS THAT THE AIR CONDITIONER!? YES! YES! POWER! And a grand cheer erupted from around the neighborhood...
How often do we look for "porch lights" from the Lord? An indication that the "trial", the "inconvenience", the "ordeal" is over? Sometimes they come quickly (like a few of our family members who got power back early!) and sometimes we have to wait (like us!) But there is always a lesson in the waiting...Although the loss of power for 3 1/2 days wasn't something I'd elect again, it DID make me thankful...Thankful that I didn't have a tree in our bedroom like some people we knew...thankful that we didn't have ANY damage to our home, our cars...that we didn't have to flee because of a wildfire (Colorado), or deal with the lose of water...thankful that I could still take a hot shower and heat water on the stove for coffee (yay, gas!), and still drive and work in air conditioning...
So what did this "trial" teach me? That God will always give us the "porch lights" in HIS time...and that I need to trust and remain secure in that...

No comments:
Post a Comment