
Before I created this blog I used to post things on my Facebook page in a section titled "Notes". This was when "25 Things bout Me" was popular...Folks would "tag" you to answer questions or write about a topic. I decided to post a few here. Enjoy!
Think of albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically shaped your world. When you finish, tag others, including me. Make sure you copy and paste this part so they know the drill. Get the idea now? Good. Tag, you're it!
1. Fleetwood Mac--The White Album: My dad used to play this after dinner, favorite tracks are Rhiannan, Say That You Love Me, Landslide, Crystal, and Blue Letter. Brings back great memories...He'd sit and grade papers and I'd spin in this awful recliner that mom covered w/ fabric scraps.
2. Elton John--Greatest Hits (circa 1970's): Another introduction from my dad, great classic stuff (even though I don't really like Elton John now, I guess I did at the time) Rocket Man became a favorite of mine, so much so that it was the song my dad and I danced to at my wedding.
3. Godspell: Original cast soundtrack: I knew every word of this album before I even saw the show at the Valley Forge Music Fair in the 70's...Maria from Sesame Street was in it as well as Don Grady playing Jesus (My 3 Sons). I have seen this show over 10 times since then and it's on my personal "bucket list" to be in a production someday.
4. John Rutter--Requiem/Cambridge College Singers: Beautiful music, glorious truth, and gorgeous voices..."Psalm 23" is a favorite of mine and my dad asked that it be played at his memorial service as a "gift" to those in attendance...I cried through the whole thing.
5. Def Leppard--Pyromania: Classic rock stuff, I hid this at Liberty (couldn't listen to secular music) and would sneak listens on my walkman.
6. Tori Amos--Little Earthquakes: Thank you, RP, for introducing me to music that was "shocking" to me at the time...powerful and weird lyrics, incredible talent, songs I took to heart during an interesting time in my life.
7. Twila Paris--Worship: I heard this entire album in concert before I even owned it. My parents and I went to Lancaster to hear her and it was one of the most lifechanging times in my life w/ them. My dad was sick at the time but we didn't know it yet, we spent the day just talking and laughing,the music was simple and heart stirring and dad bought me the CD there. I was in the middle of a terrible year (2003-04) but that trip and this concert just reaffirmed how blessed I was in so many ways. Later when I'd travel up to Univ. of Penn when he was in the hospital I'd listen to the CD on my way, cry the whole time.
8. John Mayer--Room for Squares: Probably one of the only mainstream" things I own. I used to listen to this on Saturdays before I'd go visit Cov kids in jail...Every song echos the beginning of a very hard year.
9. Passion--One Day: Live recording of college kids at a worship concert. How I wish this group was around when I was at Liberty! "Better is One Day" is a powerful track and we sang it in church one day, I borrowed the CD from someone and made a tape of it, wore it out...I want this song played at my funeral.
10. Barbara Streisand: Guilty/Memories: Odd choice but both these albums bring back great memories--my dad used to play them for my mom and it was one of the only times I remember her actually stopping what she was doing, sit on the couch, and sing...I can see her belting out "Evergreen" w/ her eyes closed and I just loved that my dad loved her enough to play these albums FOR her...
No comments:
Post a Comment