Last weekend I was in a store after church...I was at the counter and a young kid started ringing up my purchase and said,"Hey! That's a cool cross!" (similar to the one in the picture) I thanked him...He asked,"Are you a Christian?" and I responded yes (but immediately shamed at the purchase in front of me--maybe it was alcohol, maybe it was a CD w/ a Parental Advisory sticker, maybe it was "The Best of Karma Sutra"--I'll let your mind wander...) He started ringing me up and asked,"Where do you go the church?" and I told him. He told me he was familiar with my church and mentioned having been there for some dinner gathering with one of the pastors but added,"I'm Catholic...that's a very Catholic-looking cross", which confused me cause there ain't no dead Jesus hanging from it! I asked,"Where do you worship?" and he said,"Well, I'm Catholic so I can go just about anywhere", and he mentioned something about being able to go to a church in Africa (huh?) He handed me my receipt, said "Have a nice day" and I went on my way. 35 second interaction...and I was left stunned...and convicted...and a bit confused. I got into my car and just sat there and prayed a moment..."Lord, what was that? What was I supposed to do there or take away from that?" Was it the conviction of my purchase? Was it the opportunity to share more with this young man? Delve into the differences between true Christianity and Catholicism? It was something but I couldn't name it...But maybe it was all of it?
I love (and am awed) and how God creates little opportunities to get my attention about various things...Not fires or winds or earthquakes...but quiet whispers throughout the day that somehow in the whirlwind of the moment by moment I can spot or recognize and think,"Aha! I see You! I hear You!" Yet it's more than just recognizing the moment and enjoying the assurance that God is still working on me...it's the response to these moments. Do they change me? Do I allow them to do their work? Am I different from having had an encounter with the Almighty? And, not being God or knowing His plan, what is the end in mind of these encounters for my good and growth?
At the very least, I shared this interaction w/ my husband...and now am sharing with you (faithful Keeping Covenant readers!) for your own inspiration when God chooses to place you right here, right now, for "this"...May your 35 second encounters also leave you in awe and pondering God's intent for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment