Sunday, November 20, 2011

People of Walmart...?

I confess, I enjoy looking at the "People of Walmart" pictures. When Mark and I come across a new batch, we stare, we "Oh, my GOSH!?" and usually say in unison, "What is wrong with people!?"
Cheapster that I am, I do frequent discount stores...but I choose not to go to Walmart, at least not the one where I live, because I have never had a good experience there.
Still, today, I had to go to pick up some laptop bags for work. And thus, the experience began.
Since we are a non-profit, we have tax exempt status. I frequently forget this when I am picking up things for work and since I've been told about myself several times in this area, I wanted to do this purchase right.
While I was getting the bags I was distracted by several "People of Walmart"...the young mom with the screaming child in her cart who kept lamenting, "I wanna push the caaaart! I wanna push the caaaaart!" to which Mom finally snapped back and yelled, "You know what I wanna do? I wanna smack you across your face!" The dad pushing his cart with a little boy who kept shouting, "Mooooommy!", to which Dad kept replying, "She can't hear you!"..."Moooooooommy!"..."She can't hear you!" Or the larger lady I kept sneaking peeks of because I couldn't tell whether female was her gender of birth...The "Pride" sermon a few months back kept me in check though...I'm not better than these people...just different. I finally got what I needed and headed to the checkout with my tax exempt form in hand.
Girl #1 told me to go to Customer Service to get a tax exempt number for the store. Ok...I picked up my things and went to Customer Service (now 6 deep in line). Got to the counter...Girl #2 had no idea what to do..."Let me call a manager"...I wait...and wait...Manager shows up..."Oh...I don't know how to do that..." I say, "Can you check your book to make sure we don't already have a number here?" She replies, "But I don't know how to do that...um...maybe T___ knows...she's on break but she'll be back in 10 minutes." I stood there...I waited...I remembered myself from the Shoprite experience from Friday and set my face in a non-annoyed, "it's a nice Sunday afternoon and I don't mind waiting" look...T____ shows up..."She has to fill out a form", she tells Manager. They can't find the forms...I continue to wait...and wait...Other "People of Walmart" are returning items in Customer Service...they don't look anything like the people in the pictures. T____ finally finds the forms and I fill it out. Manager tells me again that she has no idea what to do to get me the number I need. Manager #2 shows up and I see a light at the end of the tunnel...She types into the computer...I wait...she scrunches her face and calls Manager over..."This won't work...isn't this the number?" Both managers keep telling each other to do the wrong thing...Clearly, neither of them has a clue. I will not leave with these bags without not paying tax. Someone at Walmart knows how to save this situation that is now blowing my mind (no hot head though...)
Redemption comes in the form of a sassy older black worker who has just returned from her break. She is dressed in the normal Walmart navy blue shirt and khakis but is garnished in purple, including her eyelids...heavily. She takes over, whipping out "the book" I asked Manager to originally look to and "Walla!", we already have a number. She has me processed and out the door in 3.5 minutes. I thanked her heartily.
As I was driving home I processed this...2 workers and 2 managers had no clue how to help me. Was this Walmart? Or was this just people? Was is due to lack of training? The scarcity that Walmart probably has of tax exempt statuses? Lack of caring? Yet it confirmed what I already decided--I don't like Walmart for reasons such as this...and for the array of customers who find it ok to scream at their kids and allow unruly behavior...But is that Walmart? Or just people?
God made everyone...and everyone has their own way about them. Maybe He specifically puts me in the path of "people" like this so I will be challenged to pray for them... "Gee, Young Mom--you seem overwhelmed at your screaming child...I'll say a quick prayer for you"...or to get off my "I'm just different" high horse and realize that if I went into Saks or Tiffanys or Bloomingdales, people would probably be taking phone shots of ME with captions ("GAP retired these jeans 15 years ago!" "Check your roots lately?")...or even just to praise Him that folks come in all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, etc. and that helps to shape who we are. I KNOW this, of course...but maybe it takes a place like Walmart to remind me...

No comments:

Post a Comment