I dreamt last night that I was in a basement and was looking for some kind of wood something...All around me were childhood toys covered in dust. I saw an old baby doll in a carriage, a good 1/2 inch of dust covering her. Her eyes were shut so I flicked at one of her eyes and it popped open...then her other eye opened by itself! Uh oh! Suddenly, all the toys became alive, scary, and were advancing towards me. I was overcome with terror! Instinctively, I began to yell, "JESUS! JESUS! JESUS!" The toys started to retreat! One brazen toy stayed hovering in front of me and I was still a bit panicky...The toy ESP'd me and said, "See! It doesn't work!" but then I responded by repeating,"In Jesus's name...in Jesus's name..." over and over...I was actually doing this physically and, in my now 3/4 sleep state, ended up hearing the words come out in a jumbled mush..."Njsnm...Njsnm..." until I got my mouth going and then the words got stronger...I woke myself up saying,"In Jesus name"...looked around my bedroom for the demonic toys that, um, were not there, assessed that I had not woken Mark up w/ my nightmare ending tactics, and went back to sleep.Years ago I was sitting on the back porch of my grandparent's home in Ocean City, chatting with my grandfather. He was a man of strong faith and shared this openly. He shared a story that remains with me to this day, although I'm not sure if he heard it on a TV show or read about it. A woman was in her home alone and a man broke in and was coming towards her to attack her. She suddenly screamed,"JESUS HELP ME!" and the man ran away. My grandfather took the time to reiterate to me the power of the name of Jesus and how we can call on Him in any situation, at any time...that the name of Jesus is FULL of power...
When I woke up this morning I was remembering that nightmare and marveling that I had remembered to call out to Jesus to save me from the demonic toys. Even though it was a dream, I find it comforting to know that the name of Jesus holds power in our unconscious as well!
I sat down with me coffee and my Bible (currently studying Psalms) and this is the first thing I read (Psalm 20):
"May the LORD answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you."
I laughed out loud! How Providential! Thankfully, I've never been in a crisis situation when I've called out to Jesus in pure terror, distress, or emergency (except against demonic toys in my dreams!) But it caused me to pause and consider calling out to Him even in the mundane..."In the name of Jesus, I ask that so-n-so shows up at school today"..."In the name of Jesus, I ask that I can have a cheerful attitude"...etc. That power isn't just for emergencies; it's our for the now, for the whenever...How much more can be accomplished if I call on His name and expect that HIS power will prevail instead of trying to do things by my own power...? Something to think about...
No comments:
Post a Comment