Oddly, Mark was home with me for New Year's this year. Before we stuffed our faces with "Fry Fest" delicacies (shrimp, striper, onion rings, etc.) we sat together at the table and, unintentionally, began to reflect on 2015. We concluded it was a good year. No major ups and no major downs, at least in our minds. Steady as she goes. Good.
And it's true, at least for me. Maybe it's the older I get or the wiser I become or, eh, the more set in my ways I prefer myself to be, but I'm trying to take things as they come, whether good, bad, or indifferent. I look back through 2015 and see different things--a new title change, Mark's new job becoming the new normal, work events, finally losing that 20 pounds I've been promising myself I would, getting a new patio, family dramas, etc. It's stuff, it's life, and some of it will probably happen again in 2016. I'm ready.
One thing we did agree on that did bring us a huge amount of joy in 2015 was Solomon. And for that I am beyond grateful and blessed.
From January 1st to December 31, he has been such an unexpected lift to my spirit and life.
Solomon was a constant source of joy throughout the year. Funny, though, as I was looking for pictures to post I noticed this one from March and was then reminded that we "lost" Father Steve this year, as in, he retired. Major low? Could have been. Major loss in my life? Yes, a palpable absence for sure. But I knew it was coming, I could do nothing about it, so rather than wallow in grief or "oh-woe-is me", I thanked him and praised God for the time and lessons learned and wished him well for his new life in Florida. I've only connected with him 1-2 times since he's left via text.
We're up to June (I'm going through pictures) and I realize that another boost this year was me rediscovering the beach, something I plan to continue in 2016. The crunch of my hair after a dip in the water, the sand in my teeth, the salt air in my lungs...I also came to the realization that I will never have my 20-30's body back and my flabby grandmommy legs are here to stay after years of gain/loss/gain/loss but as long as I maintain a thigh gap I can feel okay walking down the beach in a bathing suit.
I grew a lot work-wise too (as I should!) This is a group of folks from Gore Inc., the company that makes Goretex. They came to do a day of service at our site and as simple as that may sound, it's tough to find meaningful projects for a group of 20 people for a 4 hour time frame and takes a lot of careful orchestration, especially when 2 of the projects and a BBQ dinner to follows are supposed to take place outside but you begin to see clouds roll in and a thunderstorm grinds it all to a halt for a period of time. Did I panic? Nope. I laughed and so did the Gore folks. What are you gonna do? Roll with it...
"Oh, Mommy, you are too much!"
I took few personal risks in 2015 but one was chopping off a significant portion of hair and asking for layers which DID NOT turn out the way I'd hoped. Oh well. 2016 WILL, however, attempt to be The Year I Grew Out My Bangs and aimed to find an age appropriate hair cut. We shall see.
Work stuff was pretty steady this year aside from my little promotion. We lost a beloved co-worker after a long battle with cancer, lost a few to budget cuts, and raised a lot of money (irony in those last 2 areas, I know). We also served a lot of kids. We lost a few too...2 to terminal illness and 2 to murder (alums). High and lows, yeas and boos...
Mark and I discovered the Egg Harbor Township Nature Reserve this year and took Solomon there as often as we could. technically he's supposed to be on a leash but don't tell him that. He does just fine staying on the trail and waiting for us when we get too far behind.
I still do not have a healthy relationship with food. Oh well.
I traveled more this year than any other, I believe, for work. All part of it. I met with so many interesting folks--church groups, individuals, civic groups, families, etc. Some gave us money, some did not. I was in Farmer Jen mode, planting seeds. Each time before I went to meet or speak, I prayed I was "hoping to inspire..."
I continued to work with an amazing group of people (here some of us are pictured in pink in support of breast cancer awareness month). I also became a supervisor again and had to add the challenge of being both a cheerleader and a coach to my duties. All good though.
Working with different faith based organizations was probably one of the highlights for me work-wise. Orthodox, Jewish, Lutheran, non-denominal...they were inspired enough to help our kids.
I get him a new toy every Friday...I'm convinced it has kept him from destroying anything in the house...plus he's a good pups...
Still "Miss Jen"...the young man in the middle I helped birth 15 years ago...oh my gosh...
And when it's 70+ degrees on Christmas Eve you wear Caribbean shirts...
2015 was a good year. I know I've reflected mostly on the surface stuff (and Solomon) but as I was reading John 18 this morning and Jesus says, "Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice". This country and culture will likely continue to go into moral depravity, especially with the upcoming election and our increasing shift away from anything remotely Christian and absolute. My quest to know the Truth has been a consistent this year and one I am determined to take into 2016. Above all, JESUS is the truth and His words are truth, so I plan to know those words, memorize those words, research those words, and dig into those words so that I hear His voice ever clearer.








No comments:
Post a Comment