Friday, November 27, 2015

That Nudge...

I was in Shoprite this morning doing my normal Friday weekly food shopping. Went down the cracker aisle and there was a woman in a little electric cart. She had what looked like burns on her arms and some kind of something else wrong with her and she was blocking my way, oblivious. So I just stood there patiently as she looked at stuff on a shelf.


Another woman came down the aisle behind me, also in a little electric cart. "Terry!", she yelled. "What's that thing called that you use to put the little coffee cups already filled with coffee in it?" I looked at this woman--probably in her 60's, some kind of something wrong with her, thinking it was perfectly fine to be yelling in Shoprite. Terry looked at her quizzically as I continued to stand there, my way being blocked now by 2 little carts. "What's it called? A Kerry? A Curtsy?" I called out to her, "A Keurig!" and she nodded. "That's it! I want one!" she said to Terry. Terry shook her head and replied, "They're up there", meaning very $$$. The woman's face fell as she said, "Ohhh...it's what I want for Christmas.  Let this lady pass!" suddenly realizing that I was standing there prepped to move on.


I continued shopping. I continued to hear Terry and this other lady shout at each other around the store. I wondered if they had been brought from a group home or some kind of program.


As I bee-lined towards the checkout counter, anxious to get home to put away fall and decorate for Christmas (not that I was looking forward to this--just wanted to get it done and over with) I saw a display of Keurigs on sale. Right there. On sale. Obvious. There they are. On sale. Keurigs.


BAM--the nudge came. Really? BAMBAMBAM on my heart. Okay...hmmm...I glanced around to see where Terry and this other woman were and realized they had not yet checked out. I walked by the display of Keurigs and decided to begin the checkout process and then--and only then---if Terry and her friend hadn't left before me, the woman was going to get a Christmas gift.


I knew the outcome even as I began to put items on the belt. And I began to cry. That nudge was so clear--SO CLEAR--and I began to unravel a bit at how God was choosing to use me--goofball and sinner that I am--to be a blessing to some random woman.


All items on the belt, I ran back to the display and plucked a Keurig. I asked the checker for a "Paid" sticker. I said to her, "I'm going to give this to a woman here in the store I heard wanted one, "and she looked at me like I had 6 heads. "Huh? Really?" I said yes and pushed my cart out of the way. I saw Terry and her friend checking out a few rows down.


I trotted over to her. I said, "Ma'am, you said you wanted one of these for Christmas, right?" The woman looked at me and said, "Yes, but not now. I can't afford it". With tears streaming down my face I said, "I just bought this for you. Merry Christmas!" She looked at me like I had 6 heads..."What? WHAT?" and began to cry. I said, "I want you to have this--Merry Christmas!" and she fell apart. Terry, who was in line in front of her said, "That's because YOU are always giving to other people. Someone is doing something nice for you!" as the woman continued to sob. I asked if I could give her a hug and she said yes, so I did. The checkout lady began to cry and called the lady "Susie". I hugged her again and said, "This was a blessing to me to do this for you", and with that, I went on my way. I got into my car and began to sob, so blessed that #1--I felt and recognized that nudge and #2-that with the abundance of blessings we've received this year I could be an random blessing to this lady


When I got home, Mark asked me, "How was shopping?" and as I began to tell the story and got to the part where I saw the Keurigs on sale he said, "I hope you did!" and that was the icing on the cake. We spend money on so much needless "stuff"...I am so blessed that I have a husband that can recognize the nudge as clear as I can and is in agreement of being a blessing to others. I have no clue what the outcome of this will be--for Susie, for Terry, for the 2 checkout ladies that witnessed this whole thing. All I know is that I was obedient...and that's enough for me. 


Do you know that "nudge"? Are you close enough to the Holy Spirit to recognize it when it comes? If not, spend some time with Him. Ask Him for the "nudge" and begin to learn how to recognize His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment