About 2 years ago when I started doing development work again, I had to constantly remind myself of the pace of it all. Granted, it's not rocket science and over the years our department has developed and redeveloped and redeveloped again tools and trainings to help refine the quest to keep our doors open--campaigns, events, opportunities, what to say/how to say it/when is the right time, etc. I know what I'm good at and where I need improvement. Plant the seeds, do the work, pray on it (my add in), and perhaps a harvest will come. Still, it can be a slow and frustrating journey at times. Father Steve, over a coffee and conversation about my frustrations last year reminded me, "Williams, get used to hearing, 'No'".
Of late, I have been given the commission of getting more churches involved in our work. I have found along the way that believers tend to "get it" better or at least differently than businesses, government entities, and even just your average Joe. Matthew 25 and the whole bit...Still, many churches do what they can to keep themselves a float--stewardship campaigns, building funds, send a kid to camp, etc. And, as you well know, many churches already have their charities/missions of choice=no room for more.
We decided to give it a shot. I was told to try and connect with churches in my "area"=all 08 zip codes and Monmouth County. I'd kinda started this a few months back with a 25 Church campaign we have going on for our 25th Anniversary based on Matthew 25 (aiming to get 25 churches across the state to contribute a 1 time gift of $2,500). No easy task. I had 2 takers...I decided to start fresh, not focusing on the campaign but just inviting churches to come see our site, volunteer their time, pray for us. No direct monetary asks up front unless I got that "nudge". I even took the "Manager of Development" out of my signature on emails.
I contacted about 10 churches with whom we'd had a previous relationship at some point, even if it was 10 years ago. Then, I decided to focus on Burlington County and began trying to connect with every church that had an email. The subject line read, "20 minutes of your time?" and I gave a 4 line ask to come and meet plus an invite to come to the shelter. Over the last 2 weeks I sent it to about 100 churches.
In the midst of all this, I was trying to set up a Lunch N Learn for the end of July. One of our donors has his office building provide lunch and we invite a few business people to come and meet with the kids from Camden and AC to talk all things employment--first jobs, interview skills, how to deal with annoying co-workers and bad bosses--all while munching on sandwiches and chips. It's been great. This time, I wanted to book the speakers myself and try to get some new faces and current donors that haven't had much contact with the kids. I sent out a bunch of emails and waited.
Over the last 2 weeks, the number of "Yes" responses I got for both was uncharacteristic and almost ridiculous. I found myself opening email after email and exclaiming, "Really!?" to a "Yes" to meet or a "Yes--I'd love to!" to the Lunch N Learn. I began to fill my calendar with appointments and murmuring, "Thank You...thank You..." throughout the day. I did get some "No" responses...but the "Yes's" far outweighed them. It was almost as if God gave me a quick harvest up front, even though these are just meetings with no guarantee of support. But this is where it starts.
As I've started to meet with various pastors over the last few weeks, it's been interesting. I've learned more about church splits, mission focuses, and make up of congregations. I've shared my story over and over and about our work and have been told on several occasions that I present/speak well, with passion. Like I said, I know what I'm good at.
Only God knows where this will lead. As I reflect back on the last few weeks, I know that things may shift the other way and I'll receive more "No's" than Yes's"...and that's ok. That's part of the work. I treasure the time I'm getting to spend with ministers though. I'm hearing their stories and how they ended up where they are--pretty cool! And it really started to occur to me that, for now, I'm probably the right person to be doing this...I have 17 years worth of kids and stories and learning and growing...I think any program person (meaning one that has worked in a front line capacity for Covenant House) can do development work in some area...but not every development person can do front line work. In our whole department of 10+ people, only one other person has ever been on the front lines like me--the rest are 4 years or younger and have never broken up a fight, soothed a crying youth, walked the streets looking for kids, or discharged a group for smoking in the bathroom. Not a criticism, mind you...just a part of the work that I think gives me a leg up.
I hope that as I share it will help inspire others to get involved--a woman's Bible study, the missions committee, a retiree that wants to come tutor once a week, or even an entire congregation. Trusting...trusting...

No comments:
Post a Comment