Friday, July 25, 2014

Mission Moment

For the last 2 days I've been in Newark and New York attending a "retreat" with our NY/NJ/PA development teams. Not to criticize, but it hasn't really felt like a proper "retreat", more like a workshop or extended training but that's ok; it's been a time of planning, discussion, free thought, and committed hope to make our work better for our kids.

One of our leaders gave out staff awards to everyone at the end of the day yesterday. Some were funny, some endearing. I received the "Most Diverse Staff" award since I've had at least 8 title changes over the last 17 years, and also received the appropriate hashtag #newchurchlady, since the focus of my work has switched to connecting more with churches (along with everything else I currently do!)

The best part for me, though, was yesterday afternoon when we paused in our agenda to have a "mission moment"--to take time to reflect about "the work of the work", why we do what we do, and remind ourselves of the Providential hand that guides us along the way.  A prayer by Oscar Romero was read, one I've heard countless times throughout my years at Covenant House, but one that always--always--gives me pause and challenge:
 
It helps, now and then, to step back and take a long view.
The kingdom is not only beyond our efforts, it is even beyond our vision.
We accomplish in our lifetime only a tiny fraction of the magnificent
enterprise that is God's work. Nothing we do is complete, which is a way of
saying that the Kingdom always lies beyond us.
No statement says all that could be said.
No prayer fully expresses our faith.
No confession brings perfection.
No pastoral visit brings wholeness.
No program accomplishes the Church's mission.
No set of goals and objectives includes everything.
This is what we are about.
We plant the seeds that one day will grow.
We water seeds already planted, knowing that they hold future promise.
We lay foundations that will need further development.
We provide yeast that produces far beyond our capabilities.
We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that.
This enables us to do something, and to do it very well.
It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way, an
opportunity for the Lord's grace to enter and do the rest.
We may never see the end results, but that is the difference between the master
builder and the worker.
We are workers, not master builders; ministers, not messiahs.
We are prophets of a future not our own.
 
This prayer has meant different things to me throughout my various title changes...but the crux of it all has been that I can't do everything and am not expected to do so. As with the kids I've worked with, I plant seeds, I water those already planted, I hope, I pray, I wait, I cultivate, and leave it up to the Master to complete the work, much of which I likely won't see during my duration at the Cov.
 
I love that I work for an agency that not only recognizes that, but affirms it to it's workers. Not just in our department, but over all. This message is resounded at other retreats, staff meetings, 1:1 conversations, and at events. How freeing is that? We can all do something and do it very well--counsel a kid, make plans for a new building or program, organize a fund raising event, speak an inspiring message to a group of potential funders...and it may get results now, or later, or not at all. But still we build, we plant, we cultivate...and then we wait, and trust, and hope.  I'm not entirely sure that everyone who hears this message connects it to God/Jesus/Holy Spirit...I know our leaders do, and I find comfort in that (especially when I reflect it back to them at times).  I left yesterday with such a blessed feeling...and a renewed commitment to do my absolute best to take as many steps along the way as I can...and then leave "an opportunity for the Lord's grace to enter and do the rest".


No comments:

Post a Comment