I was headed to a meeting a while back to meet with a group of folks I'd never met. Co-workers who were to be there also had warned me about one particular person who would be in attendance, describing them as "difficult". Even within an hour before the meeting, I was reminded to watch what I said and mind my P's and Q's in case this person took something I said and either challenged it or spun it out of context. Great!?
In my car, the thought occurred to me to pray for this person I'd never met. So I did. I prayed that whatever behaviors had been exhibited in previous meeting would be absent. I prayed that this person would be warm, open, understanding, and supportive. And I prayed with confidence...I even said at one point, "I know You have the power to do this, Lord".
The meeting commenced...I kept an eye and ear on "the person" who was gracious and cooperative throughout. Part of me kept waiting for evidence of the various warnings that I'd been given but it never came. When the meeting was over, I huddled with my co-workers who seemed astonished that "the person" had been no less than wonderful throughout. With a smile I told them that I had prayed for the person...They just kinda looked at me..."Hmmm...well, yeah..." and I added some corny line about never underestimating the power of prayer or why are we surprised when prayers are answered...
And then, back in my car, I had to ask myself that. I'd prayed for the person...tried to pray with boldness and without doubt...the prayer was answered...so why was there still an element of, "Wow--it worked!"
I am always--ALWAYS--humbled by these experiences. It's not that I don't believe God can do anything; I know He can. But maybe it's that I don't believe I deserve to have my prayers answered...or because I know that just because I pray for one thing, God may have something else in mind...which doesn't mean that the prayer wasn't answered--it just means that God had an answer that was different than the one I wanted.
I am reading through Acts presently and I came across a neat story yesterday. Peter was put into prison and "the people were praying for him". God sent an angel to bust him out and he went to the house where the folks were gathered. Some chick named Rhoda answered the door and, leaving Peter there on the doorstep, went back to the others to tell them that Peter was there! They were like, "You're nuts! You're out of your mind!" But then she went back, let Peter in, and "they were astonished". They had been praying for him...so why were they "astonished" when their prayers were answered? And this in the time when miracles were aplenty (blind receiving sight, lame guys walking, demons cast out, folks rising from the dead)
Why are we surprised when God answers prayers? I'd like to think that I can continue to "boldly come before the throne" as we are encouraged to do...yet I want to keep the humility of "Thy will be done"...and although I am joyed when my prayers are answered in the way I have asked, the "surprise factor" for me is a reminder that God is ultimately in control...and just because I ask for it, even with confidence,, doesn't mean it will be done "Jen's way". The outcome is dependent upon Him--His plans for me/others, His orchestration, His decision. I don't mind the feeling of humility...I'd rather be a more humble believer than a cocky one. Therefore, Lord, bring on the surprise!

No comments:
Post a Comment