Friday, August 31, 2018

Straight Outta Context

You've seen them. The "feel good" scriptures. The little snippets that find their way onto tee shirts, pillows, hats, and plaques. Even farmhouse style wall art. I have some in my house also.
...
...and a favorite...

I'm not sure where I got the idea a few weeks ago...I had been studying Ephesians 6:10-18 about the full amour of God, etc. Maybe it was the part about the "sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God" that planted the seed in my heart. I've been more diligent in trying to use scripture as the offensive weapon it's intended to be against the schemes of Satan lately (that sounds so dark and terrible!) Mostly to combat a sour mood, an urge to speak ill of the absent, banish a fearful thought, or change a negative attitude. In addition to searching scripture I've taken to reading commentaries and related articles on a particular passage. I read these with a grain a salt--they are written by mere humans, unlike Scripture, but I aim to find nuggets of truth or a perspective that is in alignment with the Word to develop a deeper understanding. When I quote a verse, I want to make sure I'm jabbing the sword for the right reason and with the right intentions. 

I've written before about verses taken out of context or seemingly "Biblical" ideas that people tell others for comfort and peace. So I decided to study the verses most taken out of context. A simple Google search found all those above and more. (even though the dinosaur pillow quote isn't scripture, it's often misaligned with 1 Corinthians 10:13).

What a journey it has been! I'm not gonna go too deep in this post but I urge you to study for yourself...especially before you decide to buy that graduate a card that has, "For I know the plans I have for you", on the cover or tell your hurting friend to, "Be still and know that He is God". You can't (and shouldn't) encourage a group of football players to claim, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me...like win this game!" Telling yourself you are a courageous, awesome person everyday isn't fulfilling, "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he". 

Context is so important to understanding what the original intent was. I have fallen victim to taking verses out of context to suit my own needs, bring about my own comfort, and "feel better". The Bible was written FOR us, but not everything was written TO us . Granted, verses can help us understand the character of God/Jesus better, which is a great thing to do! There is certainly something to be learned in every scripture. 

One of the structures I'm trying to implement now is this: WHO is speaking? (Yahweh? Jesus?) WHO is the passage directed to? (an individual? a group? a nation?) WHAT is being said? (a command? a warning? a promise?) WHEN is it happening? WHERE is it taking place? And WHY is it being said?  Granted, some of this takes some searching and seeking, especially the "Why"...but it has helped to gain a clearer understanding of what, "All things work together for good", means...

Bottom line of what I have learned (so far): Often we take verses out of context because WE want to feel better, make someone else feel better, get that "cozy, God has my back" feeling. In short, we make scripture about US, about ME. And that misses the entire point. It's all about GOD--not us. HE is to be glorified, not us. Scripture is a two-edged sword, a weapon to use to keep us pure, a roadmap to bring us closer to HIM and lift HIM up, not us. Quite humbling.

Am I going to get rid of my "Be Still" pillow on my couch? No...If someone going through a hard time quotes Philippians 4:13 am I going to go off about what the verse really means? Probably not...But I am thankful for this "nudge" into aiming to understand scripture on a "whole nother level", as my pastor likes to say. If this post has touched a nerve or two for you, I encourage you to go deeper and explore the contexts of some of your "Go To" verses---what you find might surprise, humble, and encourage you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment