Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Heart of Gratitude

NOTE: This post was a draft from several years ago I realized to day I never published=enjoy!

In spite of my rather small frame (HA!), I really do like to chow down on good food (even "bad" food, or food that's bad for you!). Before Mark and I got married, I made a list (which I still have) of all the different kinds of foods he liked and disliked. I had wonderful visions of me preparing healthy, tasty meals every night, all 4 food groups represented along with dessert. During a few bad famine years in college when I was really hungry, I'd leaf through magazines and cut out recipes of tasty, simple dinners and started making a recipe box of ideas, imagining what they'd taste like, counting the years until I'd be the master of my kitchen and in a healthy place to not only orchestrate a balanced dinner every night, but have the desire to consume it.

I was never much of a cook growing up. I had a few one pot/dish wonders I'd tried on a few boyfriends with mixed results but what I did do well was bake, namely chocolate chip cookies. When I met Mark (again), even before our first date (the second time around), I'd sent him a box of cookies I'd baked...I can't help but believe that helped to woo him my way.

So cook? Eh...needed some work. Baker? In the bag!

Odd the things you think will happen...Over the last 16 years, I've probably prepared a total of 20 meals for Mark and I...First was the failed Meatless Mexican...beef stew was a hit but I haven't made it since 1997...One pot wonders haven't gotten too many complaints, I can throw together a "skeds-n-sauce" without flaw, my beef burrito dinners have turned out ok, and there was a stretch of time when we lived on 14th St. in Ocean City where I could actually make a few different things at a time that would end up on the plate, simple...Nothing too fancy.

In all reality (and to my delight!) the cooking of meals is left up to Mark. And for that my heart is so SO grateful. I really contemplated this this morning as my protruding gut was evidence of a meal last night that I'd rank in his Top 3.  Seared pork loin which he then finished off in the Dutch oven with onions, carrots, and celery, roasted Brussel sprouts, truffled mashed potatoes (homemade, mind you...) and salad with a dressing he made from scratch. OH  MY  GOSH.

I'm not sure where my beloved picked up all the little tricks of the trade he implements while cooking...a dash of this, let this go a little longer, let me turn the heat up on this, this needs a stir and another pat of butter, etc. But aside from one minor half failed attempt to replicate the Crab Trap's pretzel crusted grouper, anything that lands on the table in our house after he's had his hands in it has been a winner.

Why do I write about this? Because I find it both ironic and a blessing that God saw fit to pair me with someone who knew a thing or two about a thing or two when it came to cooking. Even though I had grand plans, the reality is that we rarely share a table during the week, alternating Thursday date nights between going out and staying home. In the beginning of the year when my salary was cut and we decided to do more dinners at home we'd accepted the challenge of alternating every other week who would cook. I turned to one pot wonders="Eh"...Mark turned out meals you'd pay a pretty penny in a restaurant for (in my opinion, anyway). God knew what would work for us...and I'm quite sure Mark enjoys his own cooking to my lame attempts at "balanced nutrition" anyway. I'm just so thankful that we have found a way that works for us ("I'll cook, you clean up") and that gives me meals I never would have dreamed a husband could prepare for his "not-so-great-in-the-kitchen" wife. And, for the record, I've never heard a complaint about anything I've baked for him!


1 comment:

  1. Hello Jen. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you and Mark as well as know you and your interest in praise and worship music. It was interesting to go through your blog post and see how you and Mark understand each others strength and weakness and compliment each other. Keeping covenant the very title of your blog speaks your heart's desire. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poorest live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you both (Mark and you) come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. God willing next year I will be coming to United States and will be so glad to stop by your place and have fellowship with you and Mark. Myself and my wife pray for the couples who have no children and are waiting for the Lord to bless them with children. Over the years the Lord has heard our prayers. If you are in such situation please let us know so that we can start praying for God to bless you with children. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete