Tuesday, November 21, 2017

20 Years and Counting

This past Friday marked 2 things: our 5th annual Sleep Out and my 20th anniversary at Covenant House. Honestly, I didn't really ponder the latter too much that day, as I was busy with event stuff.
Alex (Father Steve's son who I hired back in 2006 and who recently returned to us in May) is one of my favorite people. We know how to make each other laugh until we can't breathe, we have deep conversations, and there is a good balance of work vs personal. He is also one of my favorite people with whom to take pictures. He was one of my "go-to's" for this event. 
The guy in the middle is Steve, also one of my favorite people and a 5th year sleeper. I think he's worn that orange hoodie every year. He calls me the head cheerleader due to the abundance of cheery and pushy emails I send to participants in the weeks leading up to the event encouraging them to fundraise, offering tips, and declaring that, "WE CAN DO THIS!!!" I add a cheerleader gif now for good measure...and always when I'm emailing Steve. 
The best of the worst shots of me...Why photographers think you can catch someone looking wonderful mid-speak I'll never know. But this was one of my happiest points of the evening=sharing 20 years of passion, of stories, of mission, and of inspiration. 

I'm glad these 2 event coincided this year, as it gave me a dose of humility to be able to still be here amidst a tough fundraising season (as many have been giving to other relief efforts over the last few months) We did not make our goal (yet!) which is a first for me for this edition and something for which I felt a tad poorly...still, $140,000 (and still rising!) ain't bad!
Me the next morning after 28 hours awake...Usually I can grab a couple hours of sleep but we had 2 call outs at the shelter=up allllllll night. Still, the smile is genuine, thankful for a great event, good folks, no major issues, and 20 years of doing work that I LOVE under my belt. Here's to 20 more!

No comments:

Post a Comment