Many weeks ago I was listening to talk radio on my way home. A teacher at a Catholic high school had posted her personal opinion about a certain issue on her Facebook page on her own time. Someone saw it and made a ruckus. The teacher was asked to take the post down and she did. But the ruckus didn't die and soon the teacher was suspended. From what the talk show host said, her post was not mean spirited or hateful--just her own opinion. At the time of the show, as I recall, the school was trying to decide what to do and the purpose of the show was to get listeners views on what they thought should be the result of all this. Some called for the firing of the teacher. Some said "enough already" and that since her post was on her personal page and posted on her own time it shouldn't matter or have any bearing on her professional life, so reinstate her. One wise caller said it best--that it was a clear attack on Christianity and that any opinions that didn't mesh with the seemingly growing liberal agenda were a target for uprising (or something like that). I just listened and decided not to call in my with opinion.
I mull over this often...I see the posts on Facebook in support of this or that, conservative/liberal/Christian/non-Christian...I hear the debates in many different circles...Being able to meet with so many pastors over the last year has also left me somewhat befuddled at the vast array of opinions and beliefs about everything from this to that. Do they not read the same Bible I read? Has society influenced the church so much that thousands of years of teachings about this and that are now wrong? Or am I wrong?
I don't think so...and I am allowed to think thus. I was talking with a clergy member recently about someone in the public view whom I don't really know too well. This person was labeled conservative with a tone of scorn by the clergy. I just gave a half smile. I wanted to out myself, to say I'm about as far right as you can get and that what I believe about certain issues would definitely surprise and confound this person with whom I was having the conversation. But I didn't. Why? Was that wrong? Shouldn't I have felt strong enough to be who I am? But what would it have gained to start a debate or argument?
In my morning study, I came across Romans 14 and it kinda stopped me in my tracks.
"Who are you to judge someone else's servant?...You then, why do you judge your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgement seat...For the kingdom of God is not about eating and drinking but of righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men...Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification...(and here's the clincher) So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God".
Now granted...in context the passage is talking about weaker Christians not wanted to eat certain things deemed unclean under the old law. But I think the spirit of the passage has a lot of merit. I have never been and will likely never be a sign carrying/protest attending/Facebook opinion posting person. And I'm trying to be comfortable with that and believe it's ok not to speak out against what I think is in direct violation of scripture, whether it's in terms of morality or law or general conduct. God knows my heart...I think I'm right about what I believe but I've also asked the Lord--pleaded, in fact, at times--to show me if I'm wrong. And these aren't always the things that show up in the news media...maybe it's capital punishment or 2 unmarried people living together or destroying frozen embryos or tithing or cheating on your taxes...For me, it comes down to love. In spite of not agreeing with others opinions, practices, or beliefs, can and will I still love them? That's my aim. Like it says in the passage above, "make every effort to do what leads to peace and mutual edification..." Somehow broadcasting my opinion in public, at least in this day in age and climate, doesn't seem like it would lead to that. Yet, does my silence bring them closer to Christ? Or does it in some way signal acceptance of what I consider sinful? Something to continue to mull over...

No comments:
Post a Comment