Proverbs 11:3 says, "The integrity of the upright guides them but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity". I find more often than not that many people could care less about integrity and the value of being known as "upright". There are few people within my circles that I trust 100% and the majority are usually folks that have fallen short on the integrity standard. They are those that cut corners, gossip, don't think twice about lying, or even dabble in illegalities. Still, I try not to point fingers...after all, I'm known to go over the speed limit and blow through a stop sign from time to time, even when nobody is looking.
I was shopping recently and was in a hurry to get home. As I unloaded all my bags into the back of the car, I noticed a container of peppercorns lying in the bottom of the cart. I picked it up and looked at it, realizing that I'd left it in the cart instead of putting it on the belt and therefore, had not paid for it. A few choices flashed at once:
- Toss it into my bag
- Leave it in the cart
- Check the receipt to make sure I hadn't paid for it and if not, do one of the above
- Go back in an pay for it
Years ago during YouthBuild it was nearing the end of the school day. It was absolutely pouring rain--teeming, as my grandmother would say. I was hanging out with a few of the kids when one asked me for a ride home. We did not have an agency vehicle at the time and I told the student so. "But you have a car", they argued. "Yes, but I can't take you in my car. We have a policy for that". All the kids jumped in. "We won't tell!" "You gonna let him get soaked?" "It's only a couple of blocks!" And the clincher, "Who's gonna know?"
"I will know...and further, what will that say to you guys about me? That I'm above following the rules? That I can be sneaky and deceptive?" and I went on and on about integrity while they rolled their eyes. They just didn't get it, at least at the time. One of those young people, though, is the one I've discussed before in "Chapters"...and he's often regarded me as someone he can trust. So I'd like to believe that walking in integrity in that moment planted a seed.
Proverbs 10:9 says, "The man of integrity walks securely but he who takes crooked paths will be found out". I don't know about you but I'd much prefer walking a straight and narrow path...even from my car to the counter at Shoprite to pay for a container of peppercorns. Even when we think no one if looking, God always sees. And it's His opinion of me that matters most.

No comments:
Post a Comment