I used to fish often and by "often" I mean maybe 9-10 times a year back when we were first married. Whether it was casting lines off the beach or rocks or taking out my brother in law's boat at the time. I enjoyed it--the anticipation of waiting for that nibble, the salty air, the sun on my face...Good times.
I can't recall the last time I fished--probably 13+ years--but Mark goes regularly with his brother, Paul. Friends have a boat they are allowed to use and off they go during whatever season it is. I'm usually invited but I always decline--too cold, too early or too late, no interest. However, when the opportunity came up for Friday and I knew I was off and it was going to be a nice day, I decided to tag along.
As soon as the boat powered up and I inhaled that glorious fuel scent that reminded me of my grandfather and the many trips on his boat, I knew I had made the right decision. Mark was glad for my company, I'm sure, and although Paul was as well, I will jokingly say that he had an ulterior motive also. It's not uncommon when the two of them are out fishing me for to get texts urging me to pray that they catch fish. "Pray harder", if it's a lean day, or something of the like. When they return I'm often chided for not praying hard enough or for the wrong thing, all tongue in cheek, but, oddly, I do pray that they catch when they go out. Depending on the outcome, Paul let's me know if "it worked" or not...and I remind him that prayer always "works"...you just don't always get the answer you want.
We anchored and the boys got to work. Paul's job was to place and man the lines. Mark's job was to chum or chunk (throw bits of bait into the water). My job was to pray. Paul even said something like, "With Jennifer on board this is as close to God as we can get". We sat back and waited.
For the few hours we were out there we had several bites. I really was praying that they would catch. The one striper we caught was short by 2 inches. The above picture is of me with the blue fish I caught purely by accident with a tiny bit of bait that was intended for perch. We left with no keepers but a positive attitude of having been together out on the water nonetheless. Paul thanked me for praying--after all, they did catch one--but "next time work on the length". Ok..."God, please let them catch and catch 28 inches or more". Funny!
In my devotions this morning I read 2 Corinthians 1:10b-11-"On Him we have set our hope that He will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many". I found this interesting...I do pray regularly on behalf of myself and others...but it's always with a knowing or perhaps a resignation that God is going to do what He wants anyway. It's something I struggle with a bit...Yes, we should pray.Yes, prayer effects things...but the how and why I'm trying to learn more about. As I pondered this verse this morning, that prayer helps others, I thought of the multitude of things I pray about--weather, money for Covenant House, attitudes of others and myself, health issues, peace/comfort/direction...all different things on various levels. I love that this verse was intended for today, especially in connection with our fishing trip yesterday. Did my prayer effect the outcome of the trip? 1 short striper? The crab I caught? The many bites that cut the lines? Or the one in a million chance that my bluefish would hook up to my line and hook up in the unique way? I'm sure God knows...and if anything, I have no doubt that He intended this verse today to prompt me to ponder "prayer" more and bring me closer to Him...and in turn, share with others so that they may grow closer to Him as well (fish or no fish!)

No comments:
Post a Comment