Although I kept up with daily devotions after college, it wasn't until about 10 years ago that I started to take it to a whole other level. I recall going through a rough time about something and talking with the deacon of my "area" at church about it. He encouraged me to get into the Word but also to study it; to dig, to explore, to look up every word in Strongs and get a deeper understanding. That challenged me and I did begin to do this. I also started a spiritual journal around this time. The feeling of meeting God each morning became something I not only looked forward to, there was a longing accompanying it.
Has it mattered? Has it made any difference? Absolutely. Because I know that by reading and studying the Word, I'm also becoming better acquainted with the Author.
I was reading a passage in "His Imprint, My Expression" this morning that answered the question posed at the beginning of the chapter--"What difference does it make if I'm not in the Word of God on a daily basis?":
"It's the difference between a panic attack in the unexpected jolts of life and a supernatural peace in the midst of the worst storm
It's the difference between confusion and quiet confidence
It's the difference between a dogmatic, hard-nosed, and sometimes belligerent stance and moving in a gentle and patient but uncompromising way
It's the difference between a restless, I-don't-know-what's-missing-but-something-is kind of feeling and a surety that all is well with your soul.
It's the difference between running off in a thousand different directions and a knowing that this is what you are to do".
Although I've read this passage before, it spoke to me a little louder this morning. I often try to explain to people why I choose not to (or try not to!) get too rattled over things. But since I know God and knowthatIknowthatIknow that whatever may come is all orchestrated by His loving hands for my good and growth, why allow a rattling? I was thinking about this this morning and what things tend to throw me off...Like a surprise text from Mark saying that "so-n-so" is coming to town tomorrow and will be staying with us (Clean the bathroom! Move the hair dryer and the cat box! Make sure we have enough stuff for breakfast!) or a dashboard light that comes on (What's wrong? Will I have to rent a car? When is Mark working and can I borrow his car and if I have to takeitothemechaniccanhestakeme and cha ching!!!!!)...But that's me...and the older I get (I'd like to think) the less thrown off I'll be (I hope!) Does God care how I react to things like this? Yes, I'd like to think so. Even if it's not s storm, per se, it's still an unexpected jolt...and He is working in those "everyday life" situations as well. And knowing Him in the midst of it does make all the difference.

No comments:
Post a Comment