As I was driving home last night, listening to the news, I heard that the Supreme Court had decided, finally, to rule no the case of gay marriage. They played a little clip of Ellen Degeneres on her show affirming the decision. Although the final ruling won't be for several months, I anticipated the title wave of support I would begin to see on social media...and, in my normal fashion, decided I would say nothing. As you recall when I posted about the pink equal signs craze a while back, although I may not agree with certain cultural issues, even those that blatantly go against the Truth, I'm not a sign-carrying-protest-marching-petition-signing kind of person.
As I was doing my devotions today though, the title of the chapter I was up to was "When You Must Stand Against the Tide" (His Imprint, My Expression by Kay Arthur). I've had this book since 1994 and have read it cover to cover many times. At one point I read this chapter and unlined the following passage:
"Christianity never removes us from the evil world...it leaves us in it; but we are not to be of that world. We are not to think like the world, act like the world, adapt to the world, or sell out to the world. Instead, we are to contest the world, oppose it, and rescue every soul we can from it. Jesus never called us to peaceful coexistence and compromise with the world and its temporary prince".
That hit me pretty hard. I remember times when I was more outspoken about sin and its plague on the world. I was also pretty self-righteous too, ignoring the sin in my own life while openly condemning it in others...and throughout the years, rather than look and feel like a complete hypocrite, I've remained mainly silent in certain circles...or if I disagree and feel comfortable enough to say so, I will, but not in a zealous way.
I'm thinking this morning about the people that in the months ahead will be in full support of this ruling in favor of allowing anyone to marry and what that may mean for our country, our culture...and what will my response be? Social media is a huge platform to state whatever you want...will I use it to expose the Truth? Oppose "friends" and family that fully support this movement?
That little white fish looks pretty vulnerable up there among the sharp teethed ones...but what do I know about that fish? HE has more power than the whole lot...Psalm 118:6 says, "The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?" That fish, however, is the only one without a mouth in that illustration...Something to ponder and pray over...

No comments:
Post a Comment