MLK Day for me is usually just another day off a little too close to the end of Christmas vacation, albeit welcomed. When YouthBuild was active, however, we decided to do something special and march in the annual parade.
The kids wanted to make a float. What you see in the picture is what they came up with--a light-skinned MLK with "Build Up Dreams" in various colors. They worked on that float for weeks and I remember as we marched in the parade behind on of the marching bands, they were 100% into it--marching with gusto, waving to folks, handing out YouthBuild flyers so local folks would know we were a group trying to do something good and positive for the youth of Atlantic County.
My face in the picture is classic--Mom and I call the look "Communion Mouth" (that's a whole other story) and I'm likely frustrated or feeling prickly about something. But I do know that when we ended the parade at the Freedom Garden for a short ceremony, I was prouder than proud of our kids.
I've been feeling a bit melancholy about YouthBuild of late...I miss it--the kids, the program, the staff...My office is full of pictures from those 2 years; happy memories, fun stories, past frustrations. I know it was for a season and I've accepted that.
I wonder if any of the kids today, on MLK Day, would remember marching in that parade? I hope so. I hope it brings up fond memories. I hope they can still feel a bit of pride about the float they created (And that it made the paper!) I hope that some (or all!) of the dreams they had back then have been realized or at least are a built up a bit more.

No comments:
Post a Comment