Last week I read in Hebrews one of my favorite versus: 13:8-"Jesus is the same, yesterday, today, and forever". I added the sunrise to try and capture the idea of "same", not that any sunrise is the same, rather, the sun always rises (I know, I know, all you Bible scholars who will remind me that the sun stood still for 3 days because someone in the Old Testament said so...besides that!) I remember from an old Little House on the Prairie episode, Charles and an Indian were having a discussion about something heavy and Charles was trying to figure out what the Indian was going to do, how to overcome some obstacles...the wise old Native said simply, "The sun will still rise tomorrow". Yes.
In my Joyce Myer devotional she writes along with this verse, "Jesus changed people--they did not change Him". The devotional went on about fighting not to be influenced based on other people's moods and expectations, rather, staying true to ourselves. I love that! And it's very hard to do! But I am reminded that as we are to become more and more like Jesus, so also should we aim to be "the same", just as He was. He changed others--they did not change Him. I never really thought of that before as it related to my own life...I take GREAT comfort in knowing that Jesus is consistent, unchanging, steadfast, etc.
I know I've written before that I try very hard not to "should" on myself. I'm getting better, but I'm nowhere close to where Jesus is...or...? Example: we experienced the death of my brother in law this week quite unexpectedly. I have been through several deaths on Mark's side to know at this point what the expectations are for me in situations like this. In short, I know my role and I'm comfortable with that. I know to be there to listen and hang out, I know that I will be asked to sing at the service and that that is my gift of comfort to share. I know that people or a person will likely stay at our house...and this is where I'm in "ponderment".
All believers are blessed with spiritual gifts. I know my own...and hospitality isn't one of them but it's a behavior I try to improve upon (not sure it'll ever get listed as a gift). When I know that someone is staying with us for a planned amount of time (not just crashing overnight), I launch into my "mode". I make lists, I clean, I try to envision this person in our house and what their needs may be. As regulated and dogmatic as I am about schedule/routine/etc., I anticipate any deviation from this and try my best to make the person feel welcomed. Mark tends to think I go overboard..."It's just 'so-so'--they're easy". Perhaps...but I also don't want them sleeping on sheets that haven't been changed, using a bathroom that hasn't seen a decent scrub in a while, having balls of fur end up on their pant legs, or rooting through our linen closet for a clean towel. So I clean, I wipe off, I do what I can to make them feel comfortable. "Should"? Eh...isn't that just "Jennifer"? Part of me? My being? My self? What I didn't do this time, as I have in times before, is a full out company clean of the house (although Mom had been there for Easter so, that was already done). I didn't go out and get extra food (we had plenty), and I didn't get a new shower curtain liner (a little mildew never scared anyone). I had an idea of putting chocolates on the guest towels and washcloth, which I did, and when our guest went into the room (I was already in bed in the next room) I heard her gasp, "Oh my gosh!" Change? For the good? Not "shoulding" as much? Becoming more hospitable?
I'd love to be in a place where I was consistent in everything...but as I think about it, Jesus didn't need to change because He was perfect in every way! I'm not arguing with Joyce Myer, but I think that on this side of life, we will continue to develop our "true selves"...and that will result in change. I get the crux of what she's trying to say...but I also know that in many MANY ways I don't want to stay the same as I am today, rather, continue to grow and develop and become more like Jesus...

No comments:
Post a Comment