Thursday, August 2, 2012

Matthew 10:22 and Chick Fil A

DISCLAIMER: This may rustle some feathers depending on what you believe...

I rarely, if ever, post or comment on Facebook about anything political or currently controversial. In recent weeks, with all the Chick Fil A drama going on about gay marriage and boycotts and the jillions of posts offering a variety of opinions (I mostly get the "in favor of" ones) I have chosen not to comment or "like" any of them, no matter which side they are for. I consider myself a respecter of all persons and their beliefs, whether I agree with them or not. You want to boycott? Go ahead. You want to march about something? Get a petition going? Your choice. I recall being in college and being challenged not to associate ourselves with anything Disney=yeah right! I will eat what and where I want, go where I want, wear what I want, and believe what I want...just like everyone else. If what I believe differs from what you believe, ok. Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that. If you want to know why I believe what I do, I'll share it. If not, so be it. I tend to keep myself out of drama that way...until today.

Yesterday I attended a luncheon where former Governor McGreevey spoke. It was a thank you luncheon for those who do any kind of work at the county jail and since I often do work for Covenant House, I get invited every year. I was interested to hear what McGreevey had to say mostly because he currently works with offenders. Having never heard him speak and only knowing of the controversy that surrounded him several years ago, I was quite inspired by his message. This morning I posted this on Facebook:

Former Gov. Mcgreavey (sp?) spoke at a thank you luncheon I attended today...While I may not agree with his lifestyle choices and personal politics, it warmed my heart to hear this man speak of the compassion he has for the "least of these" (he works at Hudson County Jail and volunteers at Integrity House in Newark, NJ) He accredited much of individuals recovery to a "higher power" but then pointed to the Lord often, quoted a lot of scripture...It was humbling, inspiring, and good for my soul today...

Apparently, it was the "While I may not agree with his lifestyle choices..." that put a bee in the bonnet of a person I went to high school with...He/she responded:

Just something to think about- being gay isn't a lifestyle choice. Gay people were born Gay, the same way a black person is born black.

Hmmm...an opinion, a belief...I responded:

I respect your opinion but do not agree with it. And I say that peacefully :)

What followed was quite incredible to me...

So what you are telling me is that you are attracted to both men and women, but you chose to be with men? No disrespect, but your thought process is insulting and has been the cause of great harm and pain to gay people throughout history and today. Im always a bit tickled when someone who is not gay thinks they know it is a lifestyle choice. Just as you chose to be attracted to men right? If your theory behind gay people is based on the bible then you would also agree and live your life by what the bible states about women. Women are inferior to men: "A man is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man." (1 Cor. 11:7)

Women are weaker than men: "Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner" (1 Peter 3:7)

Women should be silent in church: "As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches." (1 Cor. 14:34)

Women must not have authority over men: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man." (1 Tim. 2:12-14)

Women are saved through bearing children: "But women will be saved through childbearing." (1 Tim. 2:15)

Women must cut their hair off if they don't cover it: "If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off." (1 Cor. 11:6)

A man has an obligation to produce a child with his brother's widow. If he refuses, his sister-in-law is to spit in his face in front of the elders. (Deuteronomy 25:5-9)

If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl’s father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives” (Deuteronomy 22:28–29).

So, you see, if you are going to take the bible literally, then you have to take everything in the bible literally, not just what suits you. As you say this "peacefully", it doesn't make it any less bigoted or insulting. Oh, and I say that peacefully.

I can't really put into words what this response did to me...other than confuse me into wondering why people can't just have differing opinions without getting all upset and mean and "in your face" about it?  Christians included!? Do I believe what I believe? Yes, without a doubt and I do not apologize for it. But why can't I just have an opinion that differs from someone else's? Even if I believe that what I believe is the truth, I don't have to get all aggressive and mean--what does that do? How loving is that? I responded:

All I said was that I did not agree with what you said but I respected it.

He/she responded:

I understand that, but it goes further then an opinion. As you support companies who spend millions of dollars in attempt to keep my family from having the same civil rights that you enjoy, it becomes personal. With that said, we will pray for you.
I don't recall saying anything about supporting any companies in any of my posts...which leads me to believe that everyone has Chick Fil A fever!?
I consulted another Christian about this entire matter today just to get another "opinion". He/she confirmed what I believe and practice. I love, unconditionally, many people who practice alternative lifestyles...I do not agree with their choice of lifestyle but I love them regardless. I am no better or worse than they are because of what I believe. Any finger I may choose to point would point right back at me about the "sin" in my own life (and yes, I do believe that homosexuality is a sin) so I do not try to play the moral high ground here (or with anything). It just seems that Christians (like the President of Chick Fil A) become such targets of ugliness because of what they believe...and it saddens me. I applaud this guy for standing up for what he believes and I make no apologies for having my own beliefs and opinions, just as I allow others to express and say what they believe, even if I don't agree.
Matthew 10:22 says,"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved". I never really experienced "hate" on Facebook until today, if you want to call it that...but if nothing else, it confirmed to me what Jesus must have felt when he tried to speak the Truth, share the gospel, take a stand...My opinions and beliefs are formed and shaped because of Jesus Christ...so, as uncomfortable as it was to hear such strong remarks back at me, I am willing to be hated because of Who I pledge my allegiance to.




No comments:

Post a Comment