Sunday, February 5, 2012

Let Patience have her work...RIGHT NOW!



I started the book of James today for the umteenth time...If you are a believer, you're probably familiar with the "Count it all joy" verse in the beginning of the book in the context of trials, which I let my eyes scan over ("Read this before, blahblahblah..." but then verse 4 jumped out: Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." King James uses the word "patience" instead of perseverance and in the Greek it means "cheerful/hopeful endurance". I also like the way The Message paraphrases the verse (starting in verse 2):"Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way".

I thought about the trial I am currently experiencing at work and the patience not only I but my staff and the kids have had to endure AND will continue to be called to endure in the days, weeks, perhaps months ahead. As a fixer, I think I do try to "get out of things prematurely". I want the hurt to stop, I want everyone else to be ok, I don't want to be the bad guy even though that comes with my present position, I want solutions so we can move on.

Yet this verse challenged me...I know that the testing of my faith (and of those around me) produces perseverance...but I hadn't considered that it needed to finish it's work...and I'm guessing that's in God's time, not mine. And whose to say that it might be finished in me by next Friday but for Ms. So-n-so that patience needs to be developed for an additional 3 weeks?

All last week my prayers were heavy...the kind where you can't even think of the right words except "Help" or "Just bring us (staff/kids) some peace"...but I did manage to utter the assurance "This too shall pass". As a journaler, I often look back through the chronicles of past years and marvel at how devastating something seemed at the time, yet here I am, 3,5,12 years later and the pain and agony of it is all but forgotten. There was a lesson to be learned at the time...but then through patience and continuing to have faith that the trial would run it's course and reminding myself of what I knowthatIknowthatIknow (God has allowed this for my good and my growth), I suppose I've gained a bit of maturity and it's added to whatever is lacking in my faith.

And hey!? I'm pretty sure that at 38 1/2, there are areas of my faith that are incomplete, lacking, immature...so it's a safe bet that trials will continue to come (OH BOY!) But now, in addition to counting them all joy, I will have a new perspective and challenge thanks to verse 4...a new covenant of my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment