
I heard a quote this morning that has stuck with me all day:
"A Bible that is falling apart is usually owned by someone who is not". WOW!? I immediately did a prideful self-assessment on the state of my Bibles...I keep one in the car which I received when I was confirmed into the church at 13. It has an extra fake leather "Bible-carrier-cover" but the pages are well worn, having gone through my college days at Liberty...The margins are littered with dates, thoughts, sermon notes, observations, and references. The front and back covers are scribbled with names for Jesus, quotes, etc. This is the Bible I bring into church with me, the good old New King James, which, thankfully, seems to be the usual version my pastor uses. At home I have an NIV Bible that was a wedding gift from Mom and Dad (so it's only 14+ years in use!) I use this one in the morning when I have my quiet time...The cover is warped (not sure why) and a few of the pages torn at the top where I remove the book mark each day in a rush to dig in...but falling apart? Probably wouldn't say that for either but there ain't dust on em!
I do recall my grandfather's Bible and would agree wholeheartedly that the quote above applied to him, at least what I was fortunate enough to witness during my years with him. His Bible was WORN, well-used, recognizably utilized on a regular basis. I used to sneak peeks inside and marveled at the dates, the underlined passages, the thoughts of a man whose faith was rock solid. I loved that Bible and loved to see him reading it, often aloud, filling his mind and heart with truth, truth, and more truth...living and breathing...
I never saw my grandfather fall apart. Ever. If it happened during my years of knowing him it didn't happen in front of me. I do recall only one time seeing him cry or break down. We were "down the shore" for the weekend in the summer (as usual). I don't recall the year but it had to be when I was older than 12 because they were living in their final Ocean City home. For some reason I can't remember, we decided to pray together as a family before we left to go home. We always prayed at meals but this was a "let's stand together in a circle and pray for our family" type of arrangement. I don't know who organized it or why, but there we all were. I don't remember who prayed or for what but I do remember my grandfather starting out in his usual way, like talking to a familiar adult (always with reverence)...the only line I remember clearly like it was yesterday was,"Keep them safe...from harm and accident" and on that word his voice broke and he began to cry. I cheated Prayer 101 and peeked at him. He had his arm around someone, paused a moment to gain composure, and continued to pray for his family.
I certainly would not classify that as falling apart...Quite the contrary--he so loved his family and so loved his Lord that he could pray with such passion for safe keeping...I always admired my grandfather for his stoicism during the rougher storms our family faced over the years. Some may criticize that as a lack of care or concern...but I think the well-worn Bible points to greater truths: that heknewthatheknewthatheknew all the promises within and clung to them during every storm of life. What a legacy to follow after...what a covenant to keep...
No comments:
Post a Comment