Monday, January 2, 2012

Double J's

Years ago when I first started working at Covenant House I was introduced to the realities of gangs. Some young people were "posers"=pretending to be aligned with one of the many gangs that are out there but over the years I also met some hard core members and learned the inner workings of how they operate, why some kids would join, and the expectations of being associated. In many of my pictures, you can see kids flash gang signs. I got hip to this and began flashing my own sign, Double J's. The kids would be like, "Yo! Ms. Jen! Who you be down wit? Who you representin' ?" And I'd reply, "The Double J's! Ms. Jen for Jesus!" which they found hilarious but it caught on after a while and gave me a safe way to share my faith with them (staff also!)
Last year at YouthBuild, the Double J's somehow morphed into the nickname "Jen and Juice" (a spin off Snoop Doggy Dogg's song "Gin and Juice") which also led to greetings of "Jen and Tonic!" I'd correct them but was also humored by the term of endearment.
This year, we have (seemingly) less gang representation by our students, or perhaps, since they no we tolerate NO representation while they are on site, it is closeted. I introduced this group to the Double J's and the young person pictured above took to it. So much that every day he somehow managed to "flash me" the sign. One day when he was being naughty in class, I gave him a look...and he got real serious and slowly flashed me Double J's (which I responded to w/ a "I-can't-stop-laughing" belly laugh). The irony is that this student is Muslim yet he has no problem acknowledging my faith back to me at least once a day.
I hope to use this little "gang sign" to talk w/ him...to remind him what it means, and why it's important to me...That my "OG" (=original gangster) is Jesus Christ and my allegiance of choice is with Him and His "posse" of believers. To emphasize that I would "ride or die" for Christ's cause....that I am "down" w/ JC. That I am a part of something wonderful and positive and life changing, not anything that will get me thrown in jail (at least not here in America), cause me to get arrested (unless I am a part of a protest but that's not my style), force me to commit crimes, or threaten me.
I have a soft spot for this kid...and I worry...Worry that for all the good he is accomplishing at school, for all the love we lavish on him day after day, that all the encouragement and "props" we give him (and every other student that walks through our doors) isn't enough to make what is waiting on the streets after he leaves our doors unappealing...But I'll keep seeking him and serving him...and praying that perhaps one day he'll join MY gang...

No comments:

Post a Comment