Sunday, April 19, 2020

Sometimes He'll wait...

For the last few months I've been studying the book of John. I get sidetracked here and there by a devotion or sermon and then go down a rabbit trail to do a word or concept study, but eventually I'll find my way back to the gospel. I spent a few days digging into when Jesus fed the 5,000. Even though I've heard this story hundreds of times, there is always something new to learn which is why I LOVE scripture. 

Today was John's account of Jesus walking on the water...another story I've read lots of times. John's account doesn't have Peter getting out of the boat but there were still a few things to learn from this story that I had not ever considered. What struck me was that when the disciples saw Jesus walking on the water towards them, they were initially afraid until He called out to them announcing, "It is I; do not be afraid!" v. 21-"THEN they were willing to take Him into the boat..."...when they knew it was Him. 

The storm was sudden and scary and seeing a figure walking on the water towards their boat was so completely out of context they were correct to be additionally frightened by this. They likely couldn't tell it was Jesus amidst the wind, waves, sea spray in their eyes, the rocking of the boat, etc. But when they heard His voice they knew! They remembered earlier when He'd been sleeping in the bottom of the boat in the last storm how He calmed the seas and they knew He could do it again. All fear vanished--Jesus was here!

They had to know His voice though...the same way that we need to know His voice amidst our sudden, scary storms. And to do that we need to spend time with Him talking and listening to Him, to read His words in scripture so that we can recognize the different ways in which He announces Himself during our storms, "I'm here! Don't be afraid!" Sometimes we are so confused and taken aback by whatever storm we are in we can't hear that assurance...but that's when we have to try and be still, to listen, to remember that Jesus calmed the last storm, that He is faithful, that He is indeed there, and He will save us. 

Here's an interesting angle to consider. In Mark's account it says, "47 Now when evening came, the boat was in the middle of the sea; and He was alone on the land. 48 Then He saw them straining at rowing, for the wind was against them. Now about the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea..." The fourth watch was about 3 hours later...so Jesus saw the disciples in the storm and waited to go to them...but He still saw them, His eyes were on them. 

Sometimes we will be left in the storm for a while before Jesus comes. We don't know why--we keep waiting for Him to come and it doesn't seem like He even knows we're in the predicament we're in! But know, beloved, that He does see you! His eyes are on you and He will come when the time is right. Keep listening for His voice, not the liar in your head that is forcing you to panic or despair at the wind and waves. He sees you...



No comments:

Post a Comment