Sunday, January 5, 2020

What's Well Standing Around

This past fall I decided to study the book of Hebrews. I've read the book many times and am familiar with many of the oft quoted passages. Still, there were some chewier chapters I hadn't taken the time to study and understand fully; less milk, more meat, was my intention in revisiting this book.

I didn't get very far. The whole priestly order of Melchizedek left me a little dry (maybe I'll explore again some other time). I kept plowing through, trusting that if the Lord wanted me to go deeper into a verse, line, or word, I'd get a nudge. 

I came to Hebrews 12:1. "Therefore, seeing that we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us...". As is my practice, I read a verse several times and make note of the "jump out" words (seeing, surrounded, lay, etc.) and then look up each word in the Greek. I then read several commentaries about the verse, making notes as I go. This may take a day or two. Then, if I'm so inclined, I research devotions or sermons on that line. It's not uncommon for me to spend a week or two just on one line of scripture. 

As I looked up each word, I came to "beset". Odd word. I read the King James version, so there are usually words that are not common in everyday language. The Greek definition gave me pause:

Beset: well standing around, a competitor, thwarting in every direction

Huh...? In context, we are encouraged to run with patience the race set before us. In the next verse we are encouraged to look to Jesus in order to accomplish this in addition to laying aside very weight and easily beset sin. But what is easily beset sin? Well standing around sin?

In short, what is always ready at hand? What sins in my life are readily accessible? Kinda hanging around, ready to be invited into (or back into) my life? What sins do I struggle with that are ever lurking, waiting patiently for my, "Oh, come on in..." defeated invitation. What competitors are on the sidelines of my race, trying to thwart my run in every direction? Competing for my eyes to come off Jesus and onto them so my race will be detoured from the straight and narrow? 

Wow, right? But there's more! One of the devotions I read suggested 4 areas of "well standing around" sin. And they are different and unique to each person--what might be standing around for me isn't necessarily standing around for you. 
  1. Our natural temperaments...For me this would be my tendency to be controlling, rigid, closed to new opportunities, self-righteous, and prideful (among other things). YIKES! All stuff I know I need to work on but am prone to allow to pull my eyes from Jesus (hence, the clocks and my shackled existence to time/routine, etc. I am trying desperately to work on that.)
  2.   Formally indulged in sin...This is different for everyone but could be drinking smoking, overeating, excessive dieting or exercise, gambling, spending too much money, sex outside of marriage, etc. Yeah...
  3. Sins related to your profession, relationships, or situations...Do I waste company time by being on my phone checking social media sites or YouTube videos about cats or shop for another $100 worth of Yankee candles I don't need? Do I listen to gossip about family members, even if I don't engage verbally? Do I feel "classist" if I'm in certain stores or areas? Hmmm....How fixed are my eyes on Jesus then?
  4. Weaknesses in character...this seemed to encompass everything else, any opposites of virtues or fruit of the spirit. Impatience, when I get a case of the "Screw it"s, nursing angry thoughts, etc. 
A line I wrote (not mine) towards the end of all this was, "Be enraptured by Christ and sin will be of decreasing interest and attraction to you". Enrapture means to "give intense pleasure or joy to". If I'm doing that with Jesus, eyes fixed on Him, enraptured, there won't be much of a competition for any of my sins that are well standing about, trying to thwart me in every direction. No, sir. 

So, dear reader, what sins are well standing about in your life? What is hanging out on the sidelines of your race, ready to shout, try to distract you, and then take you down the path to revisit that habit you tried to walk away from, indulge in a mean thought about someone, spend money on another shirt you don't need, or paralyze you with fear so your mind goes to the nth degree? As I am trying also, I encourage you to become enraptured by Christ and fix your eyes on Him--the author and finisher of our faith. 




No comments:

Post a Comment