CHNJ experienced some financial constraints towards the end of our fiscal year which resulted in a bunch of layoffs. I had to say good-bye to many folks with whom I've worked for years. My beloved supervisor of the last 8 years also left suddenly (landed her dream job--I hadn't known she'd been looking) so it was a season of loss. Losing my supervisor was almost close to devastating, as this was woman I trusted and who really took time to invest in my growth. As different as we were, I also loved her as a person. Her departure felt like a gaping hole and is still a very sore spot, if I'm honest.
(Camden all packed up)
We also made the tough decision to close our Camden site. Boo...many people spent a lot of time trying to keep the doors open to this site. As this was my primary responsibility also, I felt some type of way about the decision. At the end of the day though, Covenant House shelters homeless youth. Camden was a drop in center=no beds. We'd spent over $2 million dollars operating the site in hopes of securing a consistent stream of income to cover operating costs and while we made great strides over the years, it still wasn't enough. Having spent 22+ years in the non=profit world, I understood the need to close but it still didn't feel too good.
I was able to raise some money this year...my primary focus after the layoffs ended up being split almost evenly between program "stuff" and raising money (primarily a smaller portfolio and sleep outs). I am in charge of all volunteer activities fo0r Atlantic City--something I've wanted to do for a while--and that is keeping me pretty busy.
There was another trip to the Meadowlands to see Saqon play with the Giants. This time we went in September and it was hot! The kids had a good time though=once in a lifetime experience (or twice for one youth!)
In October 10 of us headed south to Nashville for a week of fun. Lots of memories made...One and done though=no need to go back.
This guy was diagnosed with a fractured medial caronoid process (essentially, a fractured elbow). There wasn't an "event" that happened--I actually noticed him limping last year and they thought it was a tick disease=no X-rays. We are currently going through the process of trying to figure out what to do, will our pet insurance cover surgery, does it make sense to do surgery on a middle aged dog, do we go get a surgeon's opinion, etc. He's still a joy in my life and makes me smile. Walks are now shorter and he isn't allowed upstairs except for baths and fireworks (too much pounding on his elbow) but he still seems like a happy pups.
And of course this guy...We celebrated 22 years married--feels like yesterday. "We're still having fun and (he's) still the one..."
We lost Mark's sister, Betsy, suddenly at the end of October. "Sudden" is never easy and that shaped much of November and December. If nothing else, for me, it reminded me that each day is precious, that our exit date IS indeed written and already determined, so it's best to live ready to have it end. I want to be known as someone that, if I die today, next year, or 20 years from now, finished well.
As I look back on 2019, it has been a year of "different". I made intentional life changes at the beginning of the year that have helped to reshape much of who I am and how I operate. As hard as that process has been, parts of it have also been a real opportunity for growth (serving on the praise team, as an example). 2 Peter 1: 3-11 as I posted about in "Everything We Need", has continued to fortify the desire to live in obedience and continue to allow the Lord to refine, redesign, and complete me. What I hadn't expected would be so blatant was the gigantic mirror that would be held up to my face, forcing me to look deep beyond the surface and behavioral changes that, while challenging, were seemingly easier to change than the parts of the inner woman the Lord still wants to work on (my pride, attitude, thought life, etc.). One of my most repeated phrases throughout this year as I've prayed and recognized, "There's that mirror again showing me_____", has been, "I do not mind this process", because, if nothing else, it affirms that God still has work to do (always!) and there will always be areas in my life that need work. I invite you (again!) along for the ride this year!
As I look back on 2019, it has been a year of "different". I made intentional life changes at the beginning of the year that have helped to reshape much of who I am and how I operate. As hard as that process has been, parts of it have also been a real opportunity for growth (serving on the praise team, as an example). 2 Peter 1: 3-11 as I posted about in "Everything We Need", has continued to fortify the desire to live in obedience and continue to allow the Lord to refine, redesign, and complete me. What I hadn't expected would be so blatant was the gigantic mirror that would be held up to my face, forcing me to look deep beyond the surface and behavioral changes that, while challenging, were seemingly easier to change than the parts of the inner woman the Lord still wants to work on (my pride, attitude, thought life, etc.). One of my most repeated phrases throughout this year as I've prayed and recognized, "There's that mirror again showing me_____", has been, "I do not mind this process", because, if nothing else, it affirms that God still has work to do (always!) and there will always be areas in my life that need work. I invite you (again!) along for the ride this year!









No comments:
Post a Comment