Sunday, May 6, 2018

What To Do Part 2

Just an update...I was faced with a decision months back that, in the "world", would likely have been a "no brainer"...Christian that I am, I did not feel 100% about saying, "Yes", to a request that was asked me. Granted, the request was made in love, respect, and honestly, in honor. Still, in the realm of "what would Jesus do" it was a solid, "NO".

I presented this "No" to the requester. And was met with grace, with, "I want you to be true to yourself", and a confidence that my "No" would not be a gamechanger.

The second decision wasn't even on the table until a few weeks alter when the requester made a statement of "obviousness", assuming I would still be a part of XYZ. I was not prepared for this and sort of fell apart in my answer...a sort of "No..but I need to explain ti and don't have time now because I have another meeting", etc. No a great moment. And I was met with a look of confusion and sadness.

I planned to give an explanation on a certain date when the requester and I would be together. I pulled them aside and explained my side, my faith, my justification of why I could not do XYZ. I felt 100% sure in my decision, having mulled it over in prayer for many weeks. Still, this was a person in authority whom I genuinely loved and had to have an ongoing relationship with so the stakes were high.

Again, I was met with grace. Even though our views on XYZ didn't gel, they respected my position. It in no way affected the relationship (at least to my knowledge) but in fact, I was gifted with, "I'm glad you told me how you really feel and that helps me to trust you. You could have told me anything (meaning, make an excuse) but you didn't".

I'm not sure this will be the case in future situations where I have to take a stand. I'd like to think that doing "what Jesus would do" will always turn out harmonious but I know that probably is not the case. Still, my "audience of One" was watching...and I did the right thing (no doubt in my mind) so the, "Well done", is worth it all to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment