Remember back when you were a kid and something really REALLY exciting happened? Maybe you received the present you'd been wishing for, maybe your parents announced you were going to Disney World, or maybe that boy finally called and asked you out...That feeling inside of absolute elation...and perhaps in response to this overwhelming feeling that was causing you to just about burst, you ran around screaming, you jumped up and down, you flapped your hands or waved your arms...or maybe you even spun around.
I love watching Youtube videos about surprise homecomings from soldiers or surprise pregnancy announcements. More often that not, you get raw emotion and people express it in so many ways--mostly tears--but ever so often you'll get a mom, husband, or child that can't contain the sudden rush of feelings and they'll begin to run around or jump or spin in circles like a dog would when overjoyed. It's quite beautiful to watch.
A verse I came across this week was familiar and I may have even blogged about it previously but it struck a chord:
Zephaniah 3:17(KJV)-"The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; He will save, He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing".
Did you catch that last part? "He will joy over you with singing..."=joy used as a verb here. It's not even the same definition as "joy" used in the beginning of the verse. In the Hebrew it means "to spin around".
I marveled at that for a bit and allowed myself to picture it, God spinning around and singing because of me. One commentary talked about the words prior to (He will rest in His love) and related it to being so in love and awed that you can't even speak or do anything but be there and be present in the love that you have for XYZ.
It all gave me pause which led to a frank consideration of myself...and I wondered, "When was the last time I did something to make God spin?" I thought about this with several grains of salt, mind you...limited in my knowledge of God and how He operates...but it IS there in scripture. Granted, the context is the remnant of Israel...but if God can "joy" or spin over a nation, surely He can do so for one of His followers?
More to the point, I gave my life a quick evaluation and assessed if there were consistent things that might cause God to make a turn or two over me. And further, I wondered if I'd done anything lately that was not the norm--a change or departure from a previous behavior or adding something new that would result in His "joying" over me.
I want God to joy over me...I want the creator of the universe to get so caught up in His love for me that He spins around singing...and I know He does love me that much, although it's hard to fathom. In my limited understanding of it all, I want my life to be a catalyst to make God spin...I'm sure there's more headshaking than spinning when it comes to me...but I can try.

No comments:
Post a Comment