Saturday, September 19, 2015

Gifts

 
 
The first time I ever remember being on stage in front of a large group of people was in second grade when I was tasked with singing "Getting to Know You" to a group of Kindergarteners at the annual spring concert for Media Elementary. I don't recall being afraid...I just got up and sang.
 
Over the years, most of my exposure to large crowds has been similar--plays, concerts, solos, etc. When I began working for Covenant House, as part of my outreach duties in 2001, I began giving presentations to groups--businesses, schools, juvenile detention centers, etc. I never felt any kind of fear or anxiety at this--I just got up, had a plan of what to share, told a few stories, and called it a day.
 
Presenting as a member of the development department, however, takes it to a different level. Not only am I tasked with giving information about whowhatwhere we are, who are kids are, what we do, and how we do it, I need to inspire these group to reach into their pockets and help support this great work. Or connect us with others. Or collect socks---something!? In short, my presentation needs to result in the action of others (or so I pray)
 
I know the things I don't do well. Making flyers in Publisher, for instance. Anything that has to do with money or math=no dice. 24/7 supervision. But I know the things I do do well--training, managing time, details when it comes to events...and, well, presenting.
 
Over the last 3 years as I've re-entered the development world, I'd guess I've given close to 50+ formal presentations--churches, civic groups, youth groups, schools, events, etc. And, I will humbly admit, I am pretty good at it. I know what I know and I speak from the heart, which I believe makes the difference. I'm not fearful or anxious because I know my material and what I want to convey.  I do it often enough that I can pack a punch in 5 minutes from a pulpit on a Sunday morning or turn 60 minutes into a retreat.
Some of these presentations result in funding or volunteers or sleepers (I say as our 3rd annual Sleep Out is upon us!) but mostly I view it as an opportunity to plant seeds. God knows from whence the harvest will come. It is never lost on me, however, the amount of feedback I get on my presentations, that this is a God gift ...and it usually draws me to tears when I get in my car to leave...thanking God, praising God for the gift to be able to speak in front of 25 or 1500 with no anxiety...to be articulate, clear funny, and inspiring. It's not ME! It's God speaking through me and it's HE who gave me the talent/gift to do so.
 
Monday of last week I was with a co-worker who was slated to give a talk to a interfaith gathering in a few weeks. She asked what I spoke about in presentations. I offered to go with her but she begged off, wanting to go herself and establish the relationship (pride in check, I said ok). But I offered to "present" to her. I asked how much time she'd have and she said 10 minutes...so she and I went into the chapel at Covenant House Newark and I gave her a typical 10 minute presentation. She was in tears by the end. Not that I'm that good! But the best feedback she gave was, "It never felt like you were on a mission to ask for money--it was about the work we do" or something like that...and that's my goal. I don't want to try and entrap people to feel sorry for the poor kids of Camden or Atlantic City and write a check...(well...no...) I'd rather have them see and understand the mission of what we are doing and ant to align with that. To be the hands and feet of Christ to our kids.
 
Last week I presented to a group of business folks. People with money. People with the ability to help us. I got a lot of great feedback. One guy in particular said something I've never heard before. He said, "That was the most infectious presentation I've ever heard...it really got to me". And even if that guy never writes a check or sleeps in a box, something I said or the way I said it got to him. And I trust God to bring the harvest of that.
 
I may not always be aware of the various gifts I bring to the table of life...but presenting for this non-profit is definitely one of them...and I thank God for every opportunity to do so and give HIM the glory for giving me the ability to do so.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment