Our Covenant House site in Camden, thankfully, received $20,000 from the "Francis Fund" in honor of the Pope's visit. This resulted not only in covering much of the expenses of feeding the hundreds of kids we see in Camden, but also got us invited to a bunch of "The Pope is Coming!" related events.
I was invited to the press conference about the Knot Grotto at the Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul several weeks ago. I have no clue about the origin of Mary and knots and what it all means. What I do know is that there were 30,000 pieces of cloth with written prayers upon them. The event was hosted by the Mercy and Justice Commission. I walked around and read various knots/cloths blowing in the wind. Prayers to God for help from addiction. Prayers for family members. Pleas for friends. Thankfulness for redemption. I later learned that many of these knots were gathered from prisons and homeless shelters. I added a few of my own.
I didn't understand it all...but I loved the spirit of it. Common folks, the least of these, dignitaries, news people, and pilgrims...gathered together to acknowledge the prayers of many, the hopes, the pleas, the cries of broken and thankful hearts. I shed a few tears during the ceremony.
A week or so later I attended a dinner at a food distribution center...I didn't know anyone but somehow ended up sitting at the same table with former Mayor Wilson Goode.
How cool...me and the Pope!
Covenant House was blessed to be able to send 8 people to see Pope Francis in Washington on Thursday (we got tickets from Cory Booker's office). Initially, we weren't sure that anyone would want to travel last minute to the nation's capital to stand for hours to catch a glimpse of the pontiff.
We were able to give out all the tickets...what's up with this Pope Francis???
This morning I was drawn to the live coverage of Francis coming to Philadelphia. History in the making, yes. but what's up with a guy that has everyone in such an uproar? Major highways closed? Years of planning? People sleeping out overnight?
I watched him board the plane from JFK Airport to come to Philly. He tripped up the steps a few times. He is, after all, human. He poops. His breath is rank in the morning. He probably is grumpy from time to time. One newscaster stated that he's trying to lose 15 pounds (so he's like me!) He is not God.
Still...although he is somewhat controversial, he seems to be pretty beloved...? All the hoopla? What is it with this guy?
I spent about 2 hours watching the news coverage this morning. I'm listening to it as I write this and he is speaking to the crowd in Philly. I saw him stop his Fiat, get out, and bless a wheelchaired boy. I watched the mass take place and listened to his message. Mark sat with me for a while and answered all my "I don't understand all this Catholic stuff" questions about the different colored hats and what is a cardinal and a bishop etcetcetc. I shed tears.
Pope Francis is a man. He certainly is a significant public figure & I don't agree with everything he stands for...yet, as I write this, he is asking the crowd to pray for him. He has consistently been a man of humility, of intent on serving the poor and the least of these.
I realize that for Catholics, the Pope is one step below God. But for me, "God" or "Jesus" is in everyday people...the homeless, those in prison, the poor...the guy at the end of the Ben Franklin Bridge is no less Jesus than anyone else...at least that's what I think and I'm allowed to believe that.
Will there be a "Francis Effect" of this visit? Or will the roads be reopened, cars moved back, security of the city relaxed, and all goes back to normal? We shall see. For me, I'm feeling good that this Pope seems to focus on serving the poor and challenging priests to get out there and amongst the people (The shepherds should smell like the sheep!) I'll continue to do what I do...but perhaps with more of a mission with another that shares the same.




No comments:
Post a Comment