Saturday, February 7, 2015

Nth Degree

 
 
It can start as a simple thought you didn't expect. You see an invite in a pile for an event you were asked to RSVP to and the RSVP date is a week overdue. You simply forgot. But a thought enters your mind. "Uh oh...I forgot to RSVP! Now so-n-so will think I don't like her. She'll tell all her friends. They will talk about me. I'll never get invited to anything ever again. My name will be blacklisted among everyone in that circle. Even if I RSVP now, the final guest list has already been called in to the caterer so it'll mess everything up...But I wanted to go so maybe I should RSVP but what if it causes a big hassle? But I can't NOT go--I'm one of her closest friends...etcetcetc..." You have now taken one thought to the nth degree...and you are overwhelmed by anxiety.
 
I have not mastered overcoming this, I will confess, but I've gotten a lot better. I know I've written about this kind of thing in various forms but I come across it so often and try to put the opposite into practice.  Earlier this week I was meeting with some counterparts planning an upcoming event.  My counterparts are pretty new, both to Covenant House and to this particular event which I've executed twice. Event planning isn't my favorite part of the work but it's necessary so I forge ahead with lists and workplans and get it done. On the day of, you execute with the certainty that some things will go amiss. I've adopted the, "Piece of cake", mantra to get me through it all. As we were planning, a few discussions began to venture off into "nth degree" territory...but I reeled them back in with a casual attitude, a knowing of how things would probably be, and a resounding, "It'll be fine".  At one point, one person remarked, "I need some of that attitude...some Jen Zen".  I laughed and told them it was the Holy Spirit, nothing more (although "Jen Zen" sounded kinda neat, I'll admit).
 
Years ago when I'd be unraveling about a situation I'd taken to the nth degree, usually about work, one of my mentors and supervisor at the time would lean back in his chair with a smile and ask me, "What's the worst thing that could happen?" We'd figure out what that would be, agree that the likelihood of that happening was .00000000001%, and it would suddenly lessen the degree of severity of whatever I was stressing about.  I continue to do that today.  Example: A few days a go I had a medical procedure to investigate why I'm having some breakthrough bleeding. What's the worst thing that can happen? I get test results back that indicate I have some kind of cancer...stage 4...2 months to live. Likelihood of that? Beyond low but possible. Would that rattle my world? As I sit here writing this I can say with confidence, not in the least. Why? Because I would trust it. I would trust the orchestration and allowance of it into my life. I would say, "Ok, Lord. Wasn't quite expecting that but all glory to you". Let's say it's less severe...cancer but stage 1...chemo for 6 weeks. I'd throw a head shaving party and invite everyone to bring pretty scarves for my head.  Even less severe...no cancer but endometriosis.  Bleed intermittently for the rest of my life. Doable.
 
Does it give glory to God to take things to the nth degree? Whether it's a diagnosis, a mishap with a friend, unexpected news for which we don't know the final outcome? Of course not. I came across a verse I've probably read a million times but it spoke so clearly about this:
Psalm 94:19-"When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul".
Ohhhhh read it again!  How cool is that!?  And what are God's consolations? Remember!  Go with what you know!  God is good, God is just, "Fear not, for I am with you", "Call upon me and I will show you great and mighty things thou knowest not", etc.
 
When you start taking things to the nth degree, claim that verse!!! Ask yourself, "What's the worse thing that can happen?" And know that God doesn't delight in His children unraveling into an anxious mess...ask Him to keep you bound, standing on solid ground, a firm foundation.  


No comments:

Post a Comment