Sunday, October 12, 2014

Rocks

Whenever I run, instead of listening to music, I make up stories in my head. I've been a guest on Oprah, won the lottery countless times, even starred in an episode of Law & Order SVU. Of late, I've taken the idea of being a chaplain and played it out in my head, offering comfort and support to those in crisis.

One of the ideas that came to mind (and this is something I just might do anyway) is giving people rocks. As I look humbly at my own faith and the various storms I've weathered over the years, I consistently go back to the story of the wise man that built his house upon the rock, rather than sand. Again, I say this humbly because I knowthatIknowthatIknow that God in His wisdom could call this into question or test (like Job) anytime He wants...but I feel like I'm pretty firm when a storm rolls in. My foundation is solid, I hang on, climb a little higher, ride it out. I trust that rock/Rock, believe in that rock/Rock...it's what I know. It's faith.

Recently I was sharing with someone that when a problem/storm/trial hits, my tendency is to shrink it down and go with what I know, meaning I try not to allow trials to be bigger than they need to be. I know that God is good and He allows trials into my life for my good and my growth. I know He is good, just, merciful...I know that He will give me the strength to deal with it and there is a purpose in it. Whether it's an issue at work or my car not starting, learning of a scary diagnosis or an unexpected death, there is always a choice--I can fuss and unravel and start being all "extra" about it, taking the problem to the "nth" degree and fretting...OR I can recognize that although the winds are howling and the waters are rising, my feet are firmly planted and I'm not going anywhere. So cling to the Rock and hang on...

A few days ago I did some digging on "rock" in the Word. There are a few Hebrew definitions for rock in the OT but for the most common uses there are 2. One means "to be lofty" or "craggy rock".
The second means "a cliff" but the root word means "to cramp", "to bind up", "to confine". Eh?  I looked up "confine"=something that encloses with borders and walls".

I feel like that's what I do with trials--bind them up, place them in a compartment and say, "You stay here! I'm trusting the Lord with this!" and keep my feet planted. Am I perfect in this? Heck, no! But it's what I strive for.  That doesn't mean that I ignore the trial, certainly. I pray about it, consult the Lord with how to handle it, etc. That also doesn't mean that I don't feel the pain of others or become cold towards the tragedy of some situations. But I hang on, I don't crumble, I climb a little higher if my shoes start to get wet with the rising waters and a little doubt creeps in.

So I picture myself giving rocks to people and sharing all this with them. Rocks that are flat on the bottom but with little crags and edges so folks can see that they can keep climbing higher. I see myself explaining about the Rock of my salvation, my Rock and my refuge, and how if you build your life on Him, your house will stand amidst the storms of life. Might sound corny, might sound weird, but it's what I know. "On Christ the Solid Rock I stand...All other ground is sinking sand..."

No comments:

Post a Comment