Saturday, April 21, 2012

Destined for ThisI

I was reading 1Thessalonians this morning and came across a neat gem of a reminder. Paul was writing that he sent Timothy to them to encourage them in their faith as they were going through various trials but added, "For you know quite well that we were destined for them". The NIV text note said, "Christians must expect troubles but these are not disasters for they advance God's purposes". Yes! Although the word "destined"/"destiny" has always been a little fluffy and New-agey for me to swallow, it merely means that our troubles (as King James puts it) "are appointed unto thus".

  I wrote earlier in my "Equanimity" post about waiting on news...And although I can't give specific details at the moment (don't know who might hack into my Keeping Covenants account!) the news came as expected...5-6 months to live, perhaps a cure will be available when the time is up (again, that is only a parallel example--I do NOT have a medical condition!) I accepted this news w/ grace and peace and maintained equanimity. For a know quite well that I was destined to hear this news. What also helps maintain the peace is that I know that God sees the days, weeks, months, and years ahead...It's already written out--I just have to trust His process in getting me to whatever exit date He's already decided.

Many years ago Michael Card wrote a great song called "Joy in the Journey". I often hear the first few lines when I struggle w/ the day to day and need to remind myself of the "destiny" of my various trials. I leave you w/ these lyrics:

 There is a joy in the journey There's a light we can love on the way
There is a wonder and wildness to life And freedom for those who obey
 And all those who seek it shall find it A pardon for all who believe
Hope for the hopeless and sight for the blind
 To all who've been born in the Spirit And who share incarnation with Him
Who belong to eternity stranded in time And weary of struggling with sin
 Forget not the hope that's before you And never stop counting the cost
Remember the hopelessness when you were lost There is a joy in the journey
There's a light we can love on the way There is a wonder and wildness to life
And freedom for those who obey

No comments:

Post a Comment