
I've had my share of counselors over the years (well, therapists if I'm keeping it real!) Some I connected well with, some talked more about themselves than helping me with my issues (a no-no!) but one stands out in particular as a caring, God-fearing woman who was a good reality check for me in a challenging but loving way (I still send her a Christmas card most years). Her office was a safe haven, her intent was for my good and growth, her methods were both by the book but with a creative twist...I am thankful that God blessed her with the gift of being able to reach hurting souls (at least this one!)
So it struck me this morning as I was reading Isaiah 9:6 that the FIRST title they give to the coming Messiah is "Wonderful Counselor". "Wonderful" in Hebrew here means "marvelous" and "counselor" means "to advise, purpose". Yes, Christ came to save...yes, He is the "Mighty God", "Everlasting Father", "Prince of Peace" etc. etc. But how well do we know and acknowledge Him as "Wonderful Counselor"? How often do we turn to fallible man for advice, or self-help books, or "wise family members", or Google for answers to life's issues? Yes, God can use these means to advise our situations, but do we first call out to Him as our wonderful counselor? Or as a last resort?
I like the image I've uploaded here. I Google Image Searched "Wonderful Counselor" and this was one of the pictures that showed up. It makes me think of Christ as the Wonderful Counselor that He is, zooming down to save, rescue, & assure...but also coming as that gentle dove of Peace, to bring us that peace amidst our personal storms. How wonderful...
On this day of gifts and merriment, may you take a moment to reflect on the true gift that came...our Wonderful Counselor...and may you begin, if you haven't already, to know Him in that way. Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment