Monday, August 22, 2011

Why, God...



I was feeling some type of way yesterday when I went to church, kinda low, really feeling for the families of the 4 football players who were killed in a car accident the day before. Providentially, the sermon title was "Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?". Ironically, this is not a question I struggle with...in fact, the entire sermon was a huge affirmation of what I already knew: no one is "good"--we are all sinners!, God causes the rain to fall on the just AND the unjust alike (Mt. 5:45), if He allows a trial/tragedy, it's for our good and our growth, even if we can't see it or understand it at the time. I think I proclaimed more "AMEN!"s during this sermon than any before. I hoped by the end, that anyone who came to church struggling with that question left with truth and comfort.

So I went back to the Facebook memorial for the 4 boys and posted the video I shared in a blog a few weeks ago, "No Matter What". As I sat and listened to it, it took on a whole new meaning in light of Saturday's tragedy and what I was feeling for the families and friends. I sobbed through the whole thing, part in sadness for these boys and families I've never met but partly in praise of the truth the lyrics.

I guess I've been blessed not to have endured too many "tragic" things...? Since I've been married, I've lost a cousin (sudden), a nephew (sudden), 2 grandparents (expected), my beloved father (expected), my mother in law (sudden), a niece's newborn (sudden), a sister in law (expected), and several Covenant House youth, one in particular who I was superclose to (sudden) I've also been declared "infertile", have wondered how we would pay the rent for several months on end, and had pre-cancerous moles removed...And along with many of these have been enduring the updates on health, test results, investigations, waiting, waiting, and more waiting...

I do not know how anyone gets through tragedy or even simply "trials" without faith...? Whether it's sudden or expected, faith has been the thing that has kept me from asking "Why?" That doesn't mean I'm better or have more faith than the next person...but when "bad things happen" I've learned over the years to go with what I know: God is good, HE is in control of ALL things, and He has allowed this "event/incident/tragedy/trail" into my life for a purpose--for my good, for my growth, and so HE will get the glory through it.

The human part of me gets a little " " at times...like, what if my house catches on fire and I lose everything or what if someone I love goes to jail or what if I get in a car accident and am paralyzed from the chin down...? I can only pray my foundation and faith are firm enough to not ask "Why"...Because in life, and especially guaranteed in the Christian life, "...you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

No comments:

Post a Comment